1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel pump wire

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tropicoz, Feb 4, 2016.

1. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I took out the fuel pump from an R6 to check on the screen and clean it etc when I noticed this small white wire had a break in the insulation. The wire is one of two wires connected to what I think is a low fuel sensor. The ends of both wires are exposed to the fuel at their connections so I'm thinking it doesn't matter if the insulation is cracked, but I'd rather get a knowledgeable answer before putting it back in and kaboom.
    So what's the good word?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

that is indeed the low fuel sensor, i dont think id worry too much about it, maybe pop the wire out of the connector and slip on somefuel safe heat shrink

tropicoz likes this.
  3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

You could just leave it out and keep a proper eye on your fuel level. If you're racing, measure the fuel, you'll be fine. It just triggers the "idiot light". My old '05 didn't have a fuel level sensor, no issue.

4. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I'm all for taking the sensor off and leaving it off as long as it won't throw any codes or cause problems. You didn't have any codes?

5. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

No codes. No F.I. light.

tropicoz likes this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i really like having a low fuel level light..

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

All of the connectors in there are submerged in fuel so a bit of exposed wire doesn't really matter, as long as the wire itself hasn't been chaffed and worn and going to break loose.

I mean trace the wire to either end, its a metal connector that's constantly exposed to/submerged in gas. Nothing's gone kaboom yet right?

tropicoz likes this.
  8. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'd cut/strip/solder it back together personally. Keeps the light and repairs the damage.