1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Cell phone with 2 phone numbers

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jan 19, 2016.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Is there any way that I can have one cell phone (pay one monthly fee) with Verizon, but have two different phone numbers with different voicemails? I am starting my own business, but cannot have my current job call and get a voicemail message regarding my new endeavor. Or, would it be best to just carry two phones at all times? I am not as concerned with the $$, but would rather not have to carry two phones at all times.

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

There are some dual sim GSM(read ATT, Tmobile or subcarriers) phones that would allow that.

3. rhouck

rhouck wat?

You could also setup the second number as a Google voice number. That rings separately on the same phone, has its own voicemail, etc. You can also port numbers to and from Google Voice (not sure if you have the new phone # already or not). As Google Voice is "free", that's no extra startup cost and, if you decide later on that you want to go to a "traditional" plan, you can always port that same number back away from GV (there is a small fee for that).

4. omatter34

Called Verizon and they can't do that from their end due to the need for two separate voicemails. Are there any apps/outside programs that could do this or am I stuck with two phones?

5. omatter34

rhouck...Thanks. you must have been typing that as I was typing my follow up question.

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I carry two phones. It's not easier but a better option in case you lose one.

7. omatter34

Hadn't considered that. Also, during the start up, the second phone would probably reside mostly in my truck and I would return calls as needed.

8. Hyperdyne

Yep. I have internal customers across the pond so they call at odd hours. Whatever platform you have, buy one of the opposite. I have a Anrdoid and IPhone. It has proved to be helpful.

9. omatter34

So you don't get them confused?

10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

http://grasshopper.com/2nd-business-line/?ghpc=ctxs2bl&ghpcamt=0

Or if you need multiple lines cheap, Twilio and a front end app to connect it. Or you could get a Twilio account and set up a number to forward to your actual phone. You could do a separate business voicemail by setting it with a timer before redirect. They lease local numbers for $1/month and the calling rates are dirt cheap. I use Twilio for most of our phone and SMS services. You can also easily build an IVR menu or a million other things.

For your uses though either Google Voice or Grasshopper sound like they'd be better options. I'd wager Grasshopper is built on Twilio services. It's pretty amazing how you can make good money these days just by coming up with a clever idea and then building it on someone else's software.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have used Google Voice for a few years now. Make sure you activate the option where it asks you every time you make a call whether you want to call with Google Voice. It will default to calling out with your actual cell number otherwise.

2 biggest downfalls:

1) calls thru google voice are more prone to dropping and take longer to connect.
    2) you don't know what phone number incoming calls were calling.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I asked the same question at the AT&T store today. It's possible but in the end it was easier to just get a cheap dumb phone for the second line. All my emails will still be accessible from my iPhone with my main number but calls for work will ring to the second phone.

13. omatter34

This is what I will probably settle on too. Only problem with Verizon is that it wouldn't be that much more to just add a line to my current plan and have all the same options as I do on my main phone.

14. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Not aware of anyone providing that option, but to relieve you from having to think you need to carry both phones, you can always set up call forwarding on one of them to the other.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think a 2nd phone is the best option, limits any mistakes and confusion.

17. Hyperdyne

In case I have to turn a phone over to legal for discovery.

18. omatter34

Got it.

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I use Ring Central for my business. I have a total of 8 lines coming in, all that I can use/control off the app on my phone. Carrying two phones just ended up annoying me. All of my business lines have various hours etc on them with different greetings etc as I use them for different types of clients or marketing materials. Really an easy system to use and I'm thankful for it every day in my business.

20. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I carried two phones for a few years, and got tired of it. As others have done, I ported my personal number to google voice, and put the app on my work iphone. All calls to both phones go to work phone. Only drawback is lack of MMS on the google voice app, and don't feel comfortable looking at questionable content on work plan :D

It does save quite a bit of money though!