what the hell is up with ups???

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Jan 16, 2016.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

They make one delivery attempt at my shop, then leave the package at the local ups drop point. Which is a liquor store a few blocks away. Theyre also now somehow linked up with usps, and will priority mail your stuff for the last leg? Or some such crap? Then they do the same thing, but at the post office. Gotta go to the post office to get it.

Excuse me, but im paying to have this delivered.....

Ive also just found out that if you for some reason dont get the ups infoslip, and the drop point sends it back after holding the package for whatever period of time, theres no tracking number. Convenient eh?

Has this been happening to anyone else?

2. Haven't had that experience with single attempts, but I do know that they have a deal with the USPS whereby the small stuff goes out with mail delivery. Don't remember the size, but the economies of the USPS dropping off small packages (since they were going there anyway) seemed to make sense.

Related: I can't stand Fedex ground in my area as it is all contract and the jobs put on the truck are impossible to deliver sometimes. What then happens is that the driver will sometimes lie about making a delivery attempt.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I didn't know UPS was doing the mail thing too, FedEX does that, have been for a while.

4. Chango

Chango Something clever!

DHL does it too.

Is there a major shipper that doesn't do that to cut costs now?

You can always pay more for them to bring it to you themselves.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

Ive had ups stop in front of the shop, then just drive off. No notice, nothing. They also consistantly try to deliver to a business at 7 and 8 oclock af night.....never getting out of the truck.

That being said, the normal ups guy totally kicks ass. So does my normal fedex guy.

I didnt know there was an option to have them actually deliver my stuff. My mailbox is on the front of the building. Mailman wont venture around the corner to where my door is. I have never once actually had them deiliver a package or certified mail to me personally in 5 years. I always have to go get it.

The drop point is new. I get why they do it. But at somepoimt im going to get one of my massive deliveries that fills half of the truck. Someomes gonna be pissed.

6. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

UPS Access Points. Designed for Home or Residential Deliveries not Business or Commercial Deliveries. If your "shop" is a business, I would contact UPS to make sure UPS has it coded as such.

It was primarily developed so urban residential customers could get their e-commerce shipments when they are not at home during the day but could pick it up on the way home. There our thousands of them with many more thousand planned in 2016. The Access Point locations get paid by UPS a small fee per package. And of course is was designed to control costs for UPS....re-delivery costs...2nd and 3rd attempts.

They were started outside of the US and proved to be very successful so a trial was started here in 2014.

Q: What is the UPS Access Point network?
    A: UPS Access Point locations are convenient places – such as The UPS Store© and other local businesses offering easy package drop-off and pickup. With evening and weekend hours, worldwide over 16,000 UPS Access Point locations offer consumers greater flexibility in picking up and dropping off packages for transportation by UPS.

____

It has full tracking and will show two deliveries on the tracking information. One to the UPS Access Point and one when it is picked up at the Access Point. It will be held at the Access Point for 7 days. But if you want UPS to redeliver it, UPS will for free.

_____

Q: Can a consignee request that a package delivered to a UPS Access Point location be redelivered to their home?
    A: Yes, consignees can contact UPS to request that a not at home package (or other directed package) delivered to a UPS Access Point location be picked up from the Access Point and redelivered to their home. A UPS redelivery attempt in the U.S. is free.

7. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

Re the USPS.....UPS, FedEx, and many other smaller delivery carriers have work share programs with the USPS where USPS makes the delivery on one of their Ground products. For UPS, it is called UPS SurePost. For FedEx it is called SmartPost. They work similar but are a little different. They are also designed for residential packages-lightweight 1-9 lb. low value residential shipments. With UPS, the final leg (or the last local USPS) makes the final delivery. Time-in-transit is UPS Ground plus 1-2 days. Mostly 1. UPS will sometimes still make the delivery on it if UPS has a regular UPS Ground Residential shipment going to that address that same day. FedEx SmartPost is a little different in they do not drop in last USPS....they are consolidated by FedEx and injected into USPS larger distribution centers/hubs. But the USPS makes the final delivery too.

And yes these services were developed to control costs.....and compete with the USPS. The USPS is a huge competitor for both UPS and FedEx but a very, very large customer for both too........

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I gave up on UPS,,, they wanted over $200 to ship my suspension parts (insured for 2 grand)...Fed Ex was $56...WTF?

9. I ONLY use FedEx.

UPS seems to be dickmunches in many cases, and I will only ship USPS if I really don't give a damn about it showing up or being in good condition if it does.

10. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

These threads always amuse me. Someone with an isolated issue makes a broad-sweeping generalization about a multi-billion dollar company. I am not even sure what point the OP was trying to make about the USPS relationship, but to hell with researching it, right!? FZR did a great job at summarizing the relationship between UPS and USPS. Keep in mind: the shipper chose the service; don't get upset at UPS for handing the package off to USPS when that was the service that was specifically asked for.

Tip to the OP: call your UPS Account Manager for the area. Don't know who they are? Call Customer Service, and they can get you the contact info. Your UPS Account Manager can contact the delivering Center to handle any issues with how your shipments are being delivered. UPS does not monitor the WERA BBS.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And that, my friend. Is why they suck.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Greenhound386

Haha!

I had a can of dog food yesterday (1 out of 36) that was swelling and about to explode. I opened it, and it overwhelmingly smelled like chemicals / ammonia. I called the company that made the food. I explained the situation and gave them the lot number on the bottom of the can so that they can make sure they don't have an issue with other cans. They took my address down and said they'd mail me a voucher for a few free cans of food. It took about 5 - 10 minutes.

I probably should have just created a thread on the WERA forums asking what the flying F is up with this particular company. I could have made some random guesses on the ingredients in the can and assumed that Obama is / was involved in some capacity or another.

KrooklynSV likes this.
  13. pickled egg

Jeez dude, they have food shelves and soup kitchens, there's no need to be eating canned dog food.

Hell, I won't even feed that shit to my dog!

Razr likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I bitched once, "RING THE FUCKING DOORBELL!"
    No more problems.

15. Greenhound386

Both companies operate off of the same standard rates. Their fuel rates vary slightly depending on the month. Try running a quote on each site for the same package; they'll return very similar values (within a few dollars).

For $200, you could ship a 220lb package from San Diego to New York via Ground. That's with $2,000 in insurance and including fuel.

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

It's not just to cut costs. We do it and save a decent bit, by it's not the main reason. USPS service is so fucking horrendous that literally anyone else is better. We had to temporarily stop our DHL service for a few weeks and go back to using USPS, customer complaints literally tripled in that time. It's likely that if we hadn't secured a DHL deal we'd be out of business. USPS needs to be taken out back and shot in the back of the head. Their service is so bad that none of you would believe my stories about them. We have shipped hundreds of thousands of packages with USPS, the experience has been uniformly awful.

17. pickled egg

"Meets expectations". Check.

:D

18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

YMMV, but I received 2 packages in NC last Monday, both shipped USPS on the previous Friday. One was from Oregon, the other from Hawaii.

19. SGVRider

Yup. Awful isn't even the right word. Their service is about on par with what I'd expect from a 3rd World African nation. The Postal Service is a useless entity and should die.

20. SGVRider

Experiencing USPS as a consumer receiving 2 packages and as a business shipping in high volume nationwide are completely different. The shit they've done to us is unbelievable. Unfortunately with their government granted monopoly on mailboxes they're here to stay. Even with that advantage they're still so fucking pathetic that they can't make money.