1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From middleweight to heavyweight experiences

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Lavana, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Not that I'm going to change for 2016 but wanted to hear people's experiences on the switch from middleweight to heavyweight.

How many seasons on a 600 before you jumped on the 1000?

Why did you make the switch and did you like it not like it

Unknown Pros / cons

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Tested a 1000 from 3 race seasons on a 600.
    Different riding styles; more squaring of corners to use all the power.

Stayed in a 600 cause i chewed a rear tire in 3 sessions.

Staying with a 600 because of the rubber budget.

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Tire cost was one of the bigger reasons I went to 600 from 1000. About triple the wear rate for me. I also found that I can ride a 600 all day, but my 1000 was wearing me out in the length of a sprint race.

It's a different game for sure though, your first run into the first big braking zone is enlightening...

I started on a 1000 and then went 600, so can't speak to when to do it. I guess whenever you want to try it. If you're a Pro, when you start winning/placing high in all the lower CC classes.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

after racing 600s for 3 years (4 including am season), i tried adding a 1000 to the weekend. For me, it was tough going back and forth. Then having spares and wheels for both bikes, setup for both.. uhh.. more work, not enough fun. I was often faster on the 600 at certain tracks. So sold it.

So, if you go to a 1000, just stick with that and get better on it. Or stick with 600's and get better on that. But trying to do both, it's possible you won't progress as much on either. A 600 is easier to get set up and ride well everywhere, vs. a 1000 (to go fast) needs a little more attention to getting the set up right, or it is simply a hand full. Just my experience

5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Started on 600s many years ago. Raced on them pretty good. Quit racing and went to doing just trackdays continuing on a 600 then a 750 then a 1000. Came back to race on a 1000. Raced it 2 full seasons and while I had some highlights I also had plenty of lowlights. Probably should have ditched the whole idea after the 2nd race weekend but I'm hard headed and didn't want to be beaten by the thought I cant come to grips on a 1000. I'm still on it. I did figure it out some along the way, it has not been pretty but I can go fast on the thing at times just not super consistent with it. Mostly a mental thing on it with me.

I still don't ride my 1000 like I should and I have way too many old 600 habits that just don't work well on the 1000s.

As others have stated they are tire eating beast and especially so if your setups off just a little bit. I threw thousands of dollars in rear tires at mine with a few things not set just right for my style of riding. It's better now but it still can whoop a rear tire pretty good the faster you go.

Physically the bigger bike has never wore me out much more than the 600 did. The 1000 requires a lot more throttle control and make sure you have good brakes on the thing you're gonna need them. Speaking of brakes I use up more pads on the 1000 verses a 600.

From my observations in the SE racing the bigger guys tend to go a little better on the 1000s verses a smaller guy like me. Especially on corner exits where I struggle to get mine hooked up.

The 1000 is a hoot on the cool down laps :D

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

When you say the 600 habits don't work well on the liter bike, do you mean in general, or just for you? Not trying to be a dick.

I'm 6'2" and have struggled to find the ergos needed to get proper body position on my little 600 without cramping my long limbs. I did a trackday session on an RC8 back to back with my 600 and was amazed at how much easier it was to move on the bike, although I've heard the RC8 has upright ergos compared to others. I don't want to switch to a liter bike if I don't have to because of tire budgets and the possible need for riding style adaptation, but the ergos of the big bikes are nice.

I understand that most people seem to have better luck by adapting their style by squaring corners etc. but would it be possible to actually go relatively fast by keeping corner speeds up and the bike leaned over like a 600?

7. Have you tried becoming more limber or setting your bike up differently? I'm taller (3") than you and ride a 600. I almost never get cramped up and if I do it's the morning session when it's still cold and I didn't stretch. My bars are all the way forward and my pegs are way down. Yoga, stretching before I go out for a session/race, correct bike setup, staying very hydrated and better body positioning help immensely. Or at least in my case it has.

I came from a 1000 (that I hated and it was embarrassing going around the track that slow) and found that riding a 600 is much more natural for me and my pace is MUCH better on that. That's just a personal thing. I've been fortunate enough to ride lots of different bikes but I prefer 600's all the way. You'll never catch me without an r6 in my garage.

8. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

I've got the pegs at their lowest point, and I keep to bars fairly wide. I've even added a couple inches of foam to the tail section (which helped a lot at the time). I still think a bigger bike would give more freedom of movement, etc.

What didn't you like about the 1000 you were riding, and what brand was it?

9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

The 1000 do have a bigger bike feel overall. The riding style as others have stated are a pretty good bit different. I didn't go as well on my 1000 as I have on my R6. One of the reasons I believe that contributes to this is braking. You have to do it MUCH harder on the 1000. And the end of the straight on the same track On my ZX10 I would be at 158 compared to 142 on my R6. That may not seem like much, but it is an extra 16mph you have to scrub off on the 1000.

For me this poses a problem. I suck at braking hard because I can't blip, so I have to do one thing at a time, this isn't most people though. But for me it is. So if you are good on the brakes and can scrub lots of speed then maybe go for it. With my riding style I prefer more corner speed and early throttle roll on opposed from late braking/point shoot.

10. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

One season on a 600.

11. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

There is no when. As everyone else has said they are totally different beasts. Larger riders generally have less problems (a little more space) and the extra HP helps them out in Power to Weight on bigger bikes, smaller riders may feel overwhelmed. I am very comfortable on my 04 R6 and can ride it all day. My 06 R1 Superbike tries to kill me every lap, of which I am good for about 6 at pace before I start making mistakes because of exhaustion (my fitness is about zero on the work out scale). At Road Atlanta the R1 rocks! At Barber it sucks. The R6 is opposite.

What do you want to race? A something that turns or something that you really have to hang on too? It's really all down to preference and comfort.

FYI. When you FUCK up on a big bike it hurts ALOT more. ALOT.

cajun636 and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I was comparing mid corner style. If you spend a lot of time on the edge of a liter bikes rear tire riding the bike like a 600 you'll find out real quick there is not a rear tire made right now that will hold up very long doing that.

The two are very different once in the turns. As for size they are not that much different overall but the 1000s do carry a little more inertia weight and you will notice it at speed.

13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Jumping back and forth between an SV and a GSXR 1000 at Miller in Salt Lake, is not recommended. I was running off in every corner for about 3 laps after going from the SV to the 1000.

I'm pretty muuch done with racing. But I have an 07 GSXR 1000 and my newest 600, '12 GSXR. I'll be taking them both to Jennings in a few weeks.
    I've had the 1000 since practically new, so I 'know' it and I think I know how to ride it. But I also raced SV's in the endurance series and had a 1/2 dozen 06-9 GSXR 600/750's up to a few years ago.

I like switching back and forth. It changes things up. The power IS fun. But it's also fun beating up on 1000's with the 600....sometimes. Depends on what track of course.

You won't be able to race very much with the 1000. Juust are't many classes as you know.

14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I've been looking at getting an older liter bike for a hooligan/ control riding bike, and maybe racing a few classes with it (V8 HWT and some A classes, just cuz). Interesting to read about everyone's experiences. FWIW, I have a LOT (4+ years) of seat time with my R6. Do you find yourselves not being able to be near your PB's at the tracks with constantly switching bikes? I can see how it'd be tough, racing the same track with multiple bikes. Changes everything.

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

See for me I couldn't do it. Broome and I had this convo. He said that he could jump back and forth and do it effectively. I can to a point but one bike is going to suffer for me. Not a ton but 1-2 seconds per lap. Over race distance that's too much. I think a older 1000 would be a great bike to have for that purpose. I keep thinking older 1000RR for some reason or 06 R1.

16. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

This is kind of what I'm thinking as well, though I do like all of the recent development going on by manufactures in the liter bike class. I'd love to keep the 600 and have a 1000 to jump on whenever I get bored with 104 hp. However, like MELK-MAN said, it'd be tough taking care of and adapting to two different bikes in the same weekend. If anything it would be nice to just wake up one day and say, "Aw shit, I'm just going to head out to a track day on the 1000 today." and then next week just be like "Well damn, think I'll go race the little 600 this weekend."

MELK-MAN likes this.