1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durango or 4Runner?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Dec 30, 2015.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

I'll answer in my experience on my 2015.... It's geared and shifts for "Eco" or "gas mileage" in other words, it shifts way too early and like the guy above said, on the freeway the torque converter is always going back and forth "hunting". 5th gear is way too tall, 2k or so rpm at 80 mph, so even on the slightest uphill it has to downshift to 4th.

That and it's always in third gear on slow corners so when you accelerate out of them it ALWAYS has to downshift first.

With that being said, I live at 4600ft, and have 275 E rated BFG's on mine (heavy). It does have a "manual" selection where you can select the gears as needed and that generally helps. I do a lot of my own shifting.

2. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Relays, sensors, and the xfer case deciding it knew what setting I wanted, better than I did. Fixed under warranty, but still....

3. Jason P.

Jason P. Well-Known Member

I found it to take so damn long to shift either up or down when you want to engage the hwy. Gas mileage isn't too terrible, the Runner is seeing 18.8 avg hyw/city on 87 pump only. I have foregone 93 altogether with this car. Feels great spending only 30-35 for a full tanker.

Everyone's hoping the next gen will have a 6-spd for the tranny. But you can't beat Toyo reliability or their maintenance plan.

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

For those with Durangos, how many have the new 8 speed transmission with the V8? That's what I'm running and it has really done well. Quick shifts and while the hunting pops up every once in awhile, I typically turn off the Eco mode and it does much better. No real hit to gas mileage that I have been able to find.

5. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

If you can, find a '05-'09 4 Runner, V8 with 4WD.

6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

The one downside to the 4.7 Toyota v8 is changing timing belts at 80K, it costs ~800$. I am approaching that, any suggestions on where? Dealership, independent shop, DIY?

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I think common practice is 100K Tbelt changes on the 4.7's. I've seen several with 200K+ with no record of belt being done, and on the T4R forum I've found ZERO accounts of one actually breaking. I'm sure you can find a good independant that can do it for more like $600

Re: MPG- my '07 V8 4R got around 16.5 in the winter and 18.5 at best in the summer. I now have an '02 Sequoia 2WD and it gets 16-17. I drive pretty gently but always 5-7 over on the freeway.

8. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

Cashier chick at grocery store changed timing belt on her Camry. Youtube it. Piece of cake!
    Purchase OEM belt on Amazon.

9. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

My 99 4Runner has 402,000 miles on it, still runs like a top. My 16 y/o son was borrowing it too much so last week I bought a 2016 4Runner. I've had really good results from a 4Runner.

Attached Files:

renegade17 and Dragginass like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

very awesome. that thing looks to be in mint condition. Congrats on the new ride!

11. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Appearance goes down the closer you get. :)

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

BS- that thing looks better than anything in my driveway

13. Mechdziner714

Is the newer Durango still on a truck chassis? I thought I had heard that the 4Runner was the last SUV that is not uni-body construction?

14. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I paid a well respected shop in my area $650 to do the belts and water pump on mine at 140k. The parts looked like new when replaced. I am getting close the next change now. Wish they put the 4.7 in a Tacoma.

15. Mechdziner714

They don't put the 4.7 in the 4Runners anymore either.

16. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

If they had done a 4.7 with a timing chain, and a proper undercoat on the 4Runner......OMG......

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

No direct experience with either vehicle. The durangos look awesome, but the 4Runner isn't bad.

Forbes just did an article on the 15 cars people keep the longest. Every one was a Toyota or Honda. 20-28% kept their cars for 10+ years. Nobody keeps a Durango that long. Not by choice.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

4Runner won out. We took delivery of a 14 Trail Premium this evening. The crawl mode will ensure she get's her Starbuck's no matter how rough the terrain or how deep the snow!

jt21 and BigBird like this.
  19. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

I'd pick the 4Runner over the fiat any day. They are easily one of the most reliable suv's on the planet. Their 4wd might even be better than what my tundra has. The gas mileage is decent for them 22-25 hwy. and the interior is nice. If you get in the trails you get the a-trac, crawl control etc as well. Resale is killer on them, we got $30k for ours in trade and we paid not all that much more (demo model)

*edit. Congrats on the purchase you won't be disappointed