1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking bead on ATV tires

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

ATV tires are a bitch, period. Both on and off, $25 a pc. to do them is fair. I charge 20 when the tires are thru me. I've seen 2 guys spend 45 minutes fighting with one.

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

It's a couple of large women who carry a wallet in their back pockets, wear flannel shirts, have mullets, and drive IROC Camaros.

3. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

leave the valve core in so that the air cant escape. It keeps the sidewall from rolling when trying to break the bead. Do the back side first. the deep side of the rim.

4. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

if you have a bead breaker . don't let all the air out of the tires. leave them partially inflated and run a little soapy water around the bead.
    that's how we do them around here . b bill and darethea

5. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

Either design your own wall mounted bead breaker or bring them to any small automotive shop and ask just to have the beads broke and do the rest yourself if you want. Usually they will break beads for next to nothing and save you the hardest part.

6. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

"Dikes" short for diagonal cutters aka "side-cuts"

You should see the look on my kid's face when I tell him I spent all day at work pumping dikes...

(As in removing water from containment berms)

7. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

To break the bead on trailer tires and ATV tires, I use a bumper jack. (Remember those ???)
    The bottom plate goes along the bead, and use the weight of the vehicle to break it. Plywood under the rim keeps it from being scraped or scarred. Best thing I do with my 1992 dodge van ...
    If you 'lube em up' good the tires will slip right on.
    A ratchet strap around the center line of the tires usually gets the bead out of the drop center...

8. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Bought a cheap bead breaker from Harbour Freight and got the two fronts done before it failed. Who would have thought that. :rolleyes: The new tires slid right on and seated with minimal effort. Now just need to get the rears done.

9. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

There's the answer, leave 5lbs of air in it when breaking the bead, when one side is done air it up (not enough to bead it) and do the other side. ATV tires are never easy but breaking beads with air in them works every time

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

This....... All ATV Tires, Golf Cart ect need a little air left in them when breaking the beads.....

11. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Tried one ATV tire with my NoMar. No worky, or I just got frustrated too easily. Took it to Walmart. Best $10 I ever spent.

12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Ever changed tires on one of the old ATV's that had two-piece rims?

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Almost forgot. Warm the new tires up before putting them on. Makes the job much easier.

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Why do I think of Walter White when I see this thread title?....

15. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Post some video of this attempt. Someone posted about the TIRE having a "big side and small side"....it's the RIM that has a "big/small side". Always take the tire off the narrow bead side first, and start install on the same narrow side. Have fun cutting the bead if you choose that route haha. Like Mike said, if you have a tire machine with a good bead breaker, they'll always go.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I only vote cutting if you have no other option. With a real or even half ass bead breaker air in the tire does help a huge amount, had forgotten about that.