1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Textile or leather jacket?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zephyr, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

I'm pretty sure which one will protect my skin at freeway speeds. Wanting to know which would be warmer in below 50 temps (yeah, fucking ohio), a textile or perfed leather jacket. Want to stay with perfed for leather as I plan on cross country trips where temps could vary a lot.

My guess is the textile jackets offer more versatility than leather as far as temp comfort. Curious to hear from your experiences.

Currently torn between these (I'm partial to Taichi):

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/rs-taichi-drymaster-prime-all-season-jacket-rsj298/

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/rs-taichi-rsj826-perforated-leather-jacket/

2. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

look for leather jackets that have zip in liners or if your will be in traveling in weather under 50 degrees, look into heated gear for under the jacket

3. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't suggest touring with only a perf'd leather jacket if your expecting it to get anywhere below 60 deg. Unless you plan ahead, and are alright with throwing a raincoat on over it to keep the wind out. You do have a rainsuit right?

I gotta say, the Drymaster looks like it'll suck big time in really hot weather. No real vents, from what I see. I've had lot's of luck with textile jackets covering wide ranges of temps for a few decades now. Mostly from Firstgear, Tourmaster. My latest is a Firstgear Kenya. Good venting. Waterproof enough. And warm enough, when closed up.

I'd also second having heated gear for under the jacket around 50 deg. Once you loose heat from the body, there's not many easy ways to get it back, except stopping, and hugging a heat source.

4. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

if you're touring an armored textile jacket will serve you well . nothing feels worse than trying to squirm into damp leathers early in the morning . the textiles will dry overnight.
    Merry Christmas to All ! Bill and Darethea

5. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I'm a fan of the textile jackets. You can zip out the liner to adjust for temperature conditions and there are *many* choices available as far as configuration and design. I had a perforated textile jacket very briefly. I got rid of it because it was only good for REALLY hot days and not much different than taking the liner out of the textile jacket and opening all the air vents.

Leather doesn't care much for rain, but if there is a way around that, then that is one less negative in my book.

Between the two, I also think that textile is much lighter and more flexible (movement wise) than leather, but again, YMMV.

I vote textile, but suggest getting as large a collection of opinions as possible and see what sounds best to you.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

Guess I shouldn't forget about the possibility of rain. Never really thought about leather staying wet compared to textile, makes sense though. Textile is looking like the better option at this point, especially with armor. Might be easier to fit multiple layers of clothing under it. Cheaper and versatile. May just end up getting perfed leather at a later time for shorter trips with predictable weather.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I tell my customers textiles are more practical but not quite the protection if your sliding down the road. Personally all my street gear is textile.

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I ride all year round, and all weather. I have a perforated textile jacket. It's really good for 80 and above. I also have a lightweight running/mtb'ing windbreaker type jacket I put under it that gets me into the 60's. It works better than the liner, and is just as easy to pack when not in use. Temps below that, I go vented, not perf. textile. Same lightweight jacket under gets me down to 30's. The vented one is waterproof. Above 80, not fun. I have the textile pants also. Zip out liner with them also.

Just for reference, I don't like being cold. That's why I live in SC.

9. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Been wearing textile riding suits since 98-99. Road tested an Aerostich in March 2014 at 55mph. Got a small bruise on my hip where I landed on the concrete. Jacket took the big hit sliding on the back. Pants didn't get hurt too bad. Wear Tourmasters also.

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

I hate the cold also, and for me I doubt any jacket without electric heat would keep me comfortable in the 30's. Although I've never ridden in a vented textile jacket before, any jacket capable of those temps is noteworthy.

11. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Aerostitch is the way I roll in textiles best stuff out there and it'll last forever. I hopped in my 1 piece Roadcrafter Christmas morning and rode to family functions in the rain. My bike needed a bath after a muddy road detour the day before :D

I was high and dry all day long even though it rained heavy all day.

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I wasn't sure I could move away from leather for the cold, so I got a high viz yellow one from Cycle Gear to try. The thing has been good. I've had it for two years. I zip the vents closed if it's below 65-70. I do have some heated gloved to use below 50.

Oh, my normal commute is 45min-1hr. So I have time to test them.

13. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

My textile stuff is Aerostich as well, and I suggest the 2 piece setup rather than the one piece. The water tends to run town the front and collect in the zipper area in the crotch, making it look like you pissed yourself, because the zipper is not waterproof. On the jacket and pants setup the water runs down the jacket and off the thigh area, avoiding the wet willy portion of the program.

Yes, it is fairly expensive, but you will only need one unless you test the grinding on asphalt characteristics. Both the jacket and pants come with armor and padding.

As always.....YMMV

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Aerostitch one piece roadcrafter needs water proofing on the main zipper if you follow their posted instructions and that really only applies to the older model like I have. Did mine like they said to years ago and no leak there. Anything a possible though I have had Aerostitch Darien pants leak in the crotch in a hurricane downpour 500 mile day.

15. I always wear textile on the street. Impact protection is just as good. Leather will stand up to multiple crashes better, but in a single crash textile will do just as good (with the exception of some weird crash where you come off the bike going straight down the interstate and slide for 200').

It is lighter and more comfortable. You can add the liner to make it warmer then remove it.

16. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

I no longer wear the mesh stuff. found out that it grips pavement like velcro and will make what would have been a slide into a tumble. learned this the hard and painful way..