1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got back from the Dominican

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Yes, I travel a lot internationally for work. Seems everytime I've been to DR I've gotten sick. It could be chance, who knows.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Went to the DR back this summer, and I don't think I'll be going back. 2nd trip there, and it was about the same as the first. The mosquitoes were awful, and the sand fleas on the beach made sure you were miserable in case you avoided the mosquitoes. I like the Iberostar Grand Paraiso in Playa del Carmen, and the Grand Velas right down the road from it. I don't think you can beat Mexico for the money and treatment. Short flight from Atl too.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

We're heading to Playa Del Carmen next month. Hoping to avoid anyone getting sick.

TLR67 likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Dude you should be fine..... Make sure you take a couple nights and go walk downtown at Playa.... Awesome nightlife... Also there is some good cave diving there as well...We stayed at the Paradises in Playa if I remember right...... Great trip as well...

ekraft84 likes this.
  5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Playa is a good time for sure. Eddie, do yourself a solid and pay for a private airport transfer. Because the Playa is farther from the airport than other resorts, group transfers (15 passenger van or bigger) will end up with you sitting in a van for a couple hours going down very bumpy resort roads so people can load/unload.

ekraft84 and TLR67 like this.
  6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Damn. Didn't see a single bug while I was there. Sounds like we just got really lucky with timing.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Do it every time..... Well worth it...

Joe Lopez likes this.
  8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Cool. We're at the Royal Playa Del Carmen. Not sure how close that is. Cave diving sounds fun. I want to go zip lining, but not sure my wife is up for that. :D

Silly question and not to thread jack, but how far does the Peso get you? The conversion rate I'm assuming is misleading, as everything will be expensive there anyway.

9. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Most things are going to be priced similar to in the US, perhaps a bit less. Excursions were anywhere from $60 per person to $130 depending on what it was. Wife and I could eat and have a few drinks for $20-30 bucks most places. If you get out of the tourist areas its cheaper. I want to say a buss ride was like 50 cents, so take advantage of that if you need to.

ekraft84 likes this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

They took our US Dollars.... Never used a Peso the whole time down there.... And Eddie the Ziplining we passed going to the caves.... Looked kind of cheesy... Lots of platforms and no hills....

ekraft84 likes this.
  11. USD all the way.

ekraft84 likes this.
  12. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

My wife and I have gone to the DR twice and experienced both ends of the spectrum.

One experience at a place called Paradisus Punta Cana which was awesome. Beachfront suite that was about 12 feet from the sand. Could not have had a better time!

Second trip there was at a resort called Ocean Blue with our 16 year old daughter and 13 year old son. If a travel agent recommends this place to you run out the door and get a new agent. I cannot say how shitty our experience was.

Bavaro Beach is 7 miles long I think, but depending on where you are dictates a lot in just how nice it is. It can go from what feels like talc powder under your feet to sand paper in some areas.

Food is always a bit different no matter where you go outside the US, but that is to be expected.

Diving there is easy, but not as colorful as Mexico and other areas because the reef is actually dead.

13. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Wife and I did the Majestic Colonial a couple months back. Rooms looked well used but were very clean and functional. Stayed in what they call the "colonial club" which is adult only. Had a great bar in the room that was included as well as Coors Light in the mini fridge. Butler wouldn't leave me alone no matter how often I told him we needed nothing. Excellent service all around

14. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

We stayed here in the colonial club as well for a friends wedding. We enjoyed it and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.