1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1988 Honda Hawk 650

Discussion in 'General' started by cornbread421, Dec 18, 2015.

1. cornbread421

cornbread421 Well-Known Member

Hey guys and gals I was wondering if I could get your input on a Honda Hawk. I can purchase it for 450 and from the pics looks clean considering the year model but the down side to it is the person states it spun a bearing, also said it was making a knocking noise. He rode it home like this but said it never smoke or had loss of power. Any input would be helpful thanks

2. ton

ton Arf!

i gotta thing for Hawks. it ain't rational. i'd prolly buy it just because a blown motor is an excuse to send it to J.D. Hord and end up with a killer Hawk. (if it won't take too much other work to make it look and run well)

cajun636 likes this.
  3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Honda Hawks have a negative impact on my wallet.

$450 is tells me that you should secure, immediately.
    As Ton suggested, is on every Hawk owner's to-do list.

If you part the bike, the frame and wheels will have recuperating the $450.

A Hawk rolling frame is living room art. At least in my "home."

cajun636 likes this.
  4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

www.hordpower.com

If it has a spun bearing it needs to come apart and get fixed. JD Hord is the man when it comes to Hawks.

5. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hawk? 450? It's probably one of these. You never said HawkGT?????

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

LOL, all the illogical Hawk guys come out of the woodwork lol $450 suuuuuure!!! Seems like a perfect candidate for that Marine Billet crank for $2500!! :D

7. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Grab it up. Can't go wrong for the price. I have a 100% bone stock 89 that's in excellent shape. I drag it out once every few weeks for a ride, it's a great bike. I really enjoy riding it. Not many stockers left.

8. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Except that the title says Honda Hawk 650.

9. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

I too have a weakness for Hawks. A blue 1988 Hawk GT was my first bike. A running Hawk is worth $2k or so, so a complete hawk with the tailsection intact and a good tank (the bodywork is hard to find now) is worth way more than $450. Get the motor fixed - don't go crazy with the tuning and the boring and stroking, and it will be a really fun bike to ride.

As you probably know, a CBR600 front end gets you a wider front wheel and dual discs. Highly recommended.

10. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

What's a Hawk 650? A Nighthawk 650 maybe? Technically I don't think Honda ever made a Hawk 650. Hawk GT, NT650, etc... Whatever. Someone should not be able to start a thread about a bike without photos anyway.

Even I would buy a Hawk GT for $450. Wait, it doesn't run?

My buddy has been trying to sell his forever. I'll tell him to try $450.

[​IMG]

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That is a good buy. By any chance, is this the one that was on Craigslist in Georgia? I emailed a guy that had one similar to this and got no answer from him. I've been looking for an NT racebike candidate and have come up empty. I would love to have one for the upcoming season.

12. cornbread421

cornbread421 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Sorry forgot to put it's a gt650.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

English is hard. I know. :)

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Make me an offer. :)
    I have that have been sitting for a while.
    I would definitely consider letting go of the Sprite Hawk.

15. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Hey cornbread, I sent you a pm but I think this might be my old hawk if it's in Spartanburg. I can give more details but if it is and you pass on it I'd be interested in buying it back. I traded it to Matt Newman back in 2007/08 time frame because I thought I needed something else.

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

My hawk was the most addictive bike I've ever owned. I had a hard time letting it go. I always wanted to get one for the street, put a VFR rear wheel, and this 929 front end I have on it.

panthercity likes this.
  17. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I bought a red '88 Hawk in 1995 for $2500.00. Crashed it and rode the piss out of it for 3 or 4 years.

Sold it for $2500.00.

cajun636 likes this.
  18. duc995

duc995 Yep…

19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Hawks are awesome. My first street bike years ago (1999/2000). My first race bike years ago. I guess I've had maybe 5 or 6 over the years. a few stock, most with suspension modifications, and a few with motor mods. I think Hawk518 has my most fun bike, Hawkenstein, currently. Stupid fun that one. I bought it from Fred Duncan (RIP) from Chicago (CCS racer?) who had the motor built (flat slides, Fish head work, cams, billet Falicon crank, ti rods, etc. etc). Around 83hp at the rear wheel (I never put it on the dyno but it was stout!). I never raced it but did lots of track days with it. I sold it to Brett "One arm bandit" Cole in Birmingham and I think he raced it and his R6 for a few years. Then I think he sold it to Carlos/Hawk518 where I think it resides to this day.

I keep thinking I'm going to get another one, and I'm sure I will because my garage just needs another lightweight street bike but it'll be had to go back to a 45hp stocker. 50 with a pipe. :)

My last street Hawk:

[​IMG]

2001/2002? Roebling with WERA...

[​IMG]

hence the GT#179 name...

stickboy274 likes this.
  20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Whoa Whoa Whoa!! You can NOT get ride of the Sprite Hawk!! That thing is a beauty!!! I will race a Hawk again some day. I just wish AHRMA had a good class for them. Eventually I will get back into some real Vintage racing and won't want to beat up on my 400. Parts are too hard to come by.