1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How dedicated to your job are you?

Discussion in 'General' started by DWhyte91, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Nailed it.

1. Your tie off point should be high enough that it catches you if you slip and doesn't let you fall to the ground.

2. There is a force factor of 6x body weight (IIRC) for a fall due to shock load (for the people who don't tie off high enough and actually fall). Hence the requirement to tie off to a strong point, plus some safety factor.

xrated likes this.
  2. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Hey I've spent 4hrs getting home in snow storms and dealt with bad traffic many many times. My whole point is that if I were needed on site and we had a sub trade or other crews showing up to help get a job done I would have been there no question. Traveling isn't part of my job (other then the commute) and I don't get any sort of bonus for production. I probably would have been given shit for being late.

Actually come to think of it my supervisor lives 10min from me. He drives a company vehicle because he visits multiple sites in a day. I take public transit when I can because it's more reliable and far less stressful making me more productive.

I'll be asking him on Monday how much money he makes and that it must be nice to go on vacation over the holidays with his family. I worked last year (even though I'd scheduled it off) because material that we'd been waiting on for weeks showed up and there was a deadline set. It was my sons first Christmas and I was working other then the stat days for the first time in 7yrs. I've given my time to the company and I'm a good employee but get treated like shit and I'm just a number.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Boy, would that be an eye opener for most clock punchers.

4. I work my very hard at all crazy hours. I have a global team in 4 continents so it makes it tough at times. I'm dedicated to my job, like what I do and they take care of me very well. I've seen all types of hourly people in various facilities. Some would leave 4 hours early if there was snow and some would leave at their regular time. Like any employee they are often hard to weed out. I can teach a monkey to be an engineer if they have a decent brain, common sense and most one of the most important things, drive.

I'm so dyslexic they thought I would never get past 9th grade when I was younger. Taught myself to get through it as any traditional methods didn't work. Needless to say in 10th grade there was an article in NEGM about my technique. My point is drive, drive usually leads to wanting to succeed and may not make you dedicated to your employer but dedicated to doing your job to the best of your ability.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't want employees to give 100% for me, I want to hire people who are driven to get the job done, and will push through whatever it takes to deliver. Not because they fear for their job or want to make me happy, but because that's what they expect from themselves and want to hit the pillow knowing they crushed it that day.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

I thought Canadians are nice....

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

This post reads 180 degrees different from the other post "you don't decide when you work and when you don't". MUCH more reasonable.

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Definitely not 180, but I see your point.

I should have said: I'm counting on you to hold up your end of the deal and do your job. You don't get to give yourself a day off because you had a rough commute. We all have struggles. Get on with it.

I can be somewhat of a hard-ass boss, but the people who work for me learn to prefer my approach to one which leads to ambiguity and confusion.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm good with direct, but fair, management. I'd much rather work with, and for, people I can be real with...

But I've always responded badly to those that treated me like their time is more important, or said something along the lines of, "you're lucky to work here." I left a certain auto superstore over that very statement and those like it.

11. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

No that's what you do when the Feds raise tax rates...except you don't replace anyone.

12. DWhyte91

I should have showed up at 10 left at 3 and put in for a full day's pay.

If you can't live with the fact that shit happens and a guy doesn't show up ONE DAY you're an a-hole of a boss. If a guy can't get to work 5 days a week on a consistent basis he's a shitty employee.

I hold up my end of the deal by doing good work while showing up and being reliable on a consistent basis.

A bad commute is being stuck in traffic because of an accident and being 20min late. If you expect someone to spend 5hrs coming to work for 4hrs pay and then spending another 1.5hrs on the return home you had better bloody well show some appreciation. My $25 gift card at Christmas isn't going to cut it.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Xrated, you're the reason I love working in the trades. Working with people who know what the fuck they're doing.

xrated likes this.
  14. pickled egg

That "appreciation" is the paycheck for the hours you worked and the continuation of your employment.

Remind me again why your commute is your boss' problem?

15. DWhyte91

It's not and 6.5hrs isn't my regular commute. This hasn't happened before, ever.

Funny how when the job goes in the hole because of managements fuck ups it becomes my problem though. Why is that?

When you get a good employee you treat them well do you not? Want to treat me like the guys who don't give a fuck about the work they do or if the job goes in on time, no problem. Don't expect me to be go the extra mile.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

I had a boss that would care more about time issues...getting to work on time ...late was the worst thing ever. Never cared what you did during the day though, and would wait until 4:59 the day before you were supposed to be off to give approval, even though you gave 5 weeks notice.

So yeah...that was not fun.
    It isn't. And all he did was use his OWN time and OWN judgement to decide he wasn't coming in. He doesn't go in, he either uses time that he's allowed to use or doesn't get paid. that was his decision, he wasn't necessary to be there that day. #lifehappens

17. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many assholes are out there...I work for one and it makes my job miserable at times.
    This thread shows that he is not alone in his ridiculous attitude towards employees.
    Life is too short to be a dick and there is more to life than work. Baffles my mind how people don't realize that.
    OP seems like a good employee. I wouldnt pay him for that day but I also wouldnt be a dick and expect him to come in at that point.

DWhyte91 likes this.
  18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Right, like all electricity contractor typically show up when they promise they would.... :D

19. pickled egg

Haven't had a good employee yet. When I find one that actually gives enough of a fuck to do the job to the standards my customers expect, I'll let you know.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I see the common factor...