1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dominion Raceway

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by ringdingding, Nov 24, 2015.

1. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Just heard about a new track near Fredericksburg VA. Any chances for a WERA round there in 2016?

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

From what I could find, it's not quite done yet. There is an oval, and about half a road course, and a lot of dirt to be moved.

3. ringdingding

Yup, heard that too. There are some events already scheduled for 2016. Might be for the drag strip or for toilet bowl racing. Heard its supposed to be finished in 2016. Looks like a cool road race layout.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

It was supposed to be done this past summer.....ive been keeping my eye on it.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

First heard about it a couple of years back. Didn't sound like they were in a rush to complete it.

6. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

We need something now that Summit is out for 2016.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When there is a track we'll try for dates, until that point we've been burned so many times it's ridiculous. Just had to cancel NCM last year because it wasn't done. Tired of doing that to our customers.

8. ringdingding

Thanks Sean, I have a friend who lives near there. If I hear more I will pass it on.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Appreciate it!

10. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

The track is no where near finished. They are going to have to address a lot of issues there as far as safety is concerned as well. I don't know who designed/ layed it out but they prob should get kicked in the nuts for it .........

11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

x2. I would bet that no one is going to turn a wheel on that track until this time next year.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of the original drawings I saw had me concerned.

13. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

The drawings are bad, it's much worse in person. turn 1-5 is pretty much a death trap for bikes or cars if they leave the track surface. If they push the outside of the track back it won't be to terrible, but the retention pond is of grave concern.

14. racerbri

racerbri Member

To add a little info to the subject, below are links to see on board and drone video of the track. I'd say the jury is still out but it appears to be oriented toward cars, not motorcycles. It is difficult to determine if there is adequate run off for motorcycles just looking at the videos and track layout. One area that caught my attention is the braking zone under the bridge for the last corner that leads onto the front straight. I can see someone tucking the front under braking and sliding into the the bridge abutment with catastrophic results.

I live about 30 miles fro the track. Sean, if you can get the authorization, I will go down to the track track, check it out and report back. I could ride some laps and video as well as walk the different corners and video.

http://www.thedriversclubatdr.com/

https://www.facebook.com/786076611475281/posts/923305921085682

[​IMG]

15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Final coat of asphalt going on in the next couple of days. One of my good friends has become decently good friends with the owner. Yes, I think it will be dangerous in areas. But I'm ready to ride it. Cars going around the base coat looked fun. Some very fast areas and some slower ones. Yes run off is scarce. But it also is at roebling.

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It is beyond me how someone would go through all the effort to build a track and then make it a death trap for motorcycles. Additionally, if I'm in a car, I also don't want to smash into anything. I just don't get it. There's no excuse.

600k2 and Banditracer like this.
  17. BretSV

BretSV Well-Known Member

Here is a recent video. Looks too dangerous to me. Looking at their schedule it also appears lots of groups they had listed as running track days have backed out, wonder if they saw how bad it is and decided too muchrisk. VIR and Summit have some close walls sure, but they were built decades ago, I think its ridiculous a brand new purpose built track was designed like this. I live 30 minutes away, so its HUGE dissappointment. I was very excited about this place.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Seriously?!

Whose the numbnuts that designed that place. Might as well be racing down a friggin hallway. Usually you have to go to Macau GP to find shit like that.

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

At this point what track built in the last few years (besides cota) has been able to race or even really ride motorcycles? I guess it's the norm anymore.

20. ringdingding

Looks like it was designed by a NASCAR maggot.