1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best exercises for racing

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Generally speaking, I think cycling or any long distance activity helps build up the mental aspect as much as the physical. I think we learn most when we are at our breaking point and those moment translate well into battle, other activities.

2. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

[​IMG]

Some entertainment while cycling tonight

3. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Holy moly how do you resize images

4. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Having been involved in many rider's training programs, there for sure are some things that work well and don't take a huge amount of time. One reason that isn't mentioned much is - the fitter you are, the longer you can stay focused, regardless of what you do. Here's a few things that make huge difference and aren't time killers.

1) Almost any type of cardio that maintains a LE/ME (Light endurance/Medium endurance) HR pace for a min of 30 min goes a long way. Of course, the longer the better. When I have the time for my cycling, I'll pedal 8-14hrs a week. Even 2-3hrs a week of any cardio will make a major difference

2) Core strength - This is a bigger deal than you think to maintain proper body position consistently. I've tried various deals, but I've seen the biggest gains from Bikram Yoga. 3 90min classes a week make an enormous difference in how I sit and move on the bike.

Ken

5. Ken nailed it with the comment about focus. Never underestimate the physical requirements of riding a bike fast. In the beginning, I did. I thought "it's just riding a bike...I've played sports and lifted weights forever, I'll be fine". I didn't know better and didn't do any bike specific type of training or cardio. It didn't help that I'd been lifting heavy weights hardcore for 7-8 years and was 235lbs off the bike.

I actually missed out on a Novice National Championship in 2009 because of that mentality. I got pushed off in the chicane (Road Atlanta) off the start and worked my ass off to get back. On the last lap I got to within 2-3 bike lengths of the leader, but I was spent. I had absolutely nothing left. I knew what I needed to do, I just didn't have the energy to do it. It took everything I had just to finish.

Two things drastically changed my riding.
    1. Proper instruction.
    2. Treating racing like the sport it is and training accordingly.

6. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I've preached for a long time, having superior fitness compared to ones peers is a huge advantage on the race course. Riding a moto fast from the start to finish, IS hard to do. Once you get fatigued, you have to slow down, or run the real risk of crashing out. This goes for both bod and mind. Best things about it..its a FREE advantage that one can have. And its benefits physically and mentally are huge regarding ones overall quality of life, far beyond just racing.

I was racing mtbs in both 12 hour solo(125 miles per event on av, all offroad) and 2 man team (regional champ), and XC (state champ) racing in my early 50s and was in the best shape of my life...right up until my moto crash in 012 which broke my back, neck, etc. I'm also convinced my fitness helped in keeping me from being potentially paralyzed from the neck(2 broken verts) and back(7 crushed verts) injuries.

Back on the bicycle now and trying to race, but its a long road back.

Pic of the state XC final (50+ age) in Macon Ga in 09. I'm on left in green. I'm 52 in this pic. Won the whole thing that day.
    [​IMG]

7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

^ That's awesome that you came back from that. That's determination. Hats off to you sir.

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

This.

Intense full body workout.

Mix in some road or mountain bike and it`s a good start.

Concept 2 is a great workout investment!

9. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

Hand stands.. Use your arms to do push ups in a handstand position . That will work the muscles you need to pitch a big bike around

10. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

:up: And when you highside and land hands first not only will you not break your wrists, but you will easily be able to go into a gymnast-style tumbling floor routine ending in a double lay-out backflip. You will stick the landing perfectly for the officials every time.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what about hand stand kegels? :D

12. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

13. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I actually tried to find a gymnastics gym that worked with adults in my area to no avail recently. Figured it would have been perfect cross trianing for a lot of sports.

14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Gymnastics schools love it if you're a male in your early to mid-30's looking for gymnastics coaching. Bonus if you have a mustache and you show up in a van...

DucatiBomber likes this.
  15. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Lol never thought of a) doing gymnastics (I'm sure it would be great) or b) the subway approach to wanting some lessons.

16. Filterboy

Filterboy Well-Known Member

Smart dude there^^^^^^^^^

At the pro level, proper body position for an entire race is extremely difficult without core strength. You can only DIG so deep before the guys that with the same skill level but have that strong core clear off in the distance, especially midrace.

It works for any level racing, but the pros are so freaking fast the body has to do a lot more.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

bought a spinning bike today. let the indoor training in the northlands begin. :D Ski

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I actually made a van joke to one of them on the phone while I was asking about programs.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  19. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

cardiovascular system