1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015/2016 Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by sbhockey, Sep 18, 2015.

1. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I pretty much live in the woods, so I don't really have to hunt. It just walks past my house.. but I have been practising my bow and gun skills.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Heading to West Virginia in two weeks and I'm bored with my current deer rifle (Ruger M77 .243). I really like these fairly new "Scout" type rifles available now. Savage and Ruger both make one (forget the Steyr...too expensive). Anybody have one of these? The reviews seem favorable. I'm leaning towards the Savage mainly because of the AccuTrigger. They're both .308.

Also, has anyone ever traded a gun at Cabela's? I put my M77 on Armslist but in case that doesn't work out I thought about trading. Not sure how Cabela's is on your trade in value.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  3. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I just got a Ruger American in a .223. I have put about 150 rounds through it and I really like it, it's my first .223 but coming from a single shot 30.06 it's a joy to shoot.

4. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

[​IMG]

<

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

Think about it ;)

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You a Vegan speedy?

6. SpeedyE

There is a difference between having to kill to eat/live and to enjoying killing something.
    I am a self-loathing meat eater ;)

srs, I have no prob w/ deer hunting....they live a better life than factory animals....but it's the lust to kill that I take issue with.
    I have killed many animals, but all of them saddened my heart. I remember every one of them :(

7. rd400racer

FWIW, I'm not a hardcore hunter dude by any means. My mother in law just happens to have nice acreage and I try to get one deer every year so I can take the meat home and enjoy it over the winter.

And I'm not a tree stand hunter either. I walk the hills in search of game. If I don't get anything I don't really care because I had a nice walk in the woods.

8. SpeedyE

I got no issue with you or that, rd :cool::beer::cool:

I just wish some/all people would think/understand that a life is a life, and they are all important :)

9. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

If you eat meat something is getting killed, some people just dont like blood on their hands. I get it, not judging. My wife loves wild game but I took her goose hunting once and she cried every time I killed one. I can take 3 dead geese in the house though and she gets a big grin and goes to work. Its the whole watching something die she doesnt like. Some people can, some cant.

I enjoy hunting very much. I enjoy harvesting an animal and I enjoy eating it. Most of all I like putting dinner on the table and knowing where it came from.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Is this thread about Uccios?

11. SpeedyE

That would be me.
    I have had to kill diseased/injured animals many many times, and every time, I have to put my 'race face' on, and get er' done w/out thinking/emotion.
    Once done, is when my stone-cold facemask is lifted, and I weep :(
    All of them had to be euthanized but the images still haunt me, when I think about them :(
    I have held/comforted warm lifeless bodies many times, and cried tears into their fur.
    I can put on the face to do it, but it is only a mask I am forced to wear, for the moment.....for them

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

got ammo and Ar's waiting for some hogs. I usually will get one deer for eats but now there are so many hogs, about 2/3's of the time i end up seeing pigs instead of deer.

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Hogs are that bad in tn? I figured you had to go further south. I've never seen one in ky that wasn't on a hog farm.

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Saw a stout 6 pointer from my bathroom window the Thursday night before Monday morning gun opener. Wont see him again :crackup:.

Only thing I've seen in 3 days so far is 2 porcupines come down the same hillside about 3 hrs apart. First one was missing it's left front leg. Hoping to get out the last half of this week again. Deer population has been low around here this year, so I only got a buck tag. Hope to fill it, as it's been 2 years since I put any in the freezer.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I've seen a nice 8, two small 8s, Possibly a 10, big 6, spike, and a few does. They're chasing hard right now. Club rules are 130 inches or larger for first buck.

The buck in the attachment is a shooter. He is / was hanging down by a creek bed.

Attached Files:

16. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Derp! Forgot to mention I hunt in Alabama near Montgomery . 4 hour drive :( but it's worth it

17. rd400racer

My nephew got this at his grandma's (my MIL) last week in WV. Boy is a killing machine.

[​IMG]

18. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Steak Travis i'm quite sure you and pops are not skeered to go on a hog killin spree. Git r dun!

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well, it seems as tho The Gambrel boys are firing the ol Iowa pheasant hunting trip back up over thanksgiving. We went for 22 straight opening days in Newton. I however, won't be going since Hank kicked off on me this past summer. And anyone that bird hunts knows that doing it without your own dog flat out blows donkey dicks. Plus I have shit to do.

Good luck to all of you guys this year. Be safe and post pics!

20. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I haven't had time to get out since opening weekend. Hoping to give a go this Sunday. I'm all public land, which can be rough. Thanksgiving I plan on doing the same as last year. Backpacking/hunting trip in the Cherokee National Forest. Last year I got froze off
    Big Frog Mountain, that won't be happening again. Good ol .30-30 lever has to get something this year :D