1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool "Ella the Engineer" Comic Book for Little Girls

Discussion in 'General' started by trancework, Oct 13, 2015.

1. trancework

trancework It's always now...

There's a big push to get girls into STEM careers--starting them as young kids.

Came across this today "Ella the Engineer" --it's currently crushing it on Product Hunt.

They're trying to win something or other (I'm not affiliated) but if you like the concept, please click this upvoaty link thing.

[​IMG]

2. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Taking selfies is now considered engineering... I'm doing something wrong.

3. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Ha, I thought the same thing but supporting it because I'm down with the cause. :cool:

4. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I agree, but they could have used a bit better artwork for the cover shot. This quarter 3 out of 4 interns in my area are female and I look forward to hearing their response.

5. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Encourage your girls to do what they enjoy. Same for the boy's.
    Getting pigeonholed into a career because it pays or is the in thing is a bad idea.

I only know one female engineer, a chemist pretending to be a mechanical engineer.
    She SUCKS.
    Will also say know a dozen male engineer's pretending to be mechanical engineer's only one knows squat.

Have one daughter own's a business and makes more than the wife and I do (both professionals) other one finishing up a Masters in a medical field.
    Both extremely happy because there doing what they enjoy and are making money doing it.
    If you hate your job, you will never make enough to make up for it.

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We have several female engineers. One that comes to mind specifically is amazing. Speaks three languages, can manage a team, and knows the business. She is fantastic.

7. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Is it pronounced "eh-ya" or "el-uh"?

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

If there is no money in it "doing what you love" is a bad idea as well, that's how people end up with 50k in student loans to get a 21k per year job.

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am just happy to be doing my part. My daughter is a Physics / Astronomy major and Math minor. So doing my part is just sending the college a check every semester but I still consider that helping the cause of women in STEM.:D

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    Doing what you love and getting a BS degree is why there are so many college graduates working at coffee shops and as waiters / waitresses to pay off soul crushing student loans.

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Last week, I walked into RadioShack, and...:D

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think the "push" is not a good thing.

I believe, schooling/career should be a choice that balances capacity to produce with return.

In the engineering field, I encounter plenty of degree engineer that were driven (pushed) into the field by the culture/environment that they grew in. Generally speaking, some of those folks just don't have what it takes to lead a project or team.

I don't have a child but if I were to push one of my own, I would push them to be vested in whatever activity they accepted and be mindful of the decision that they were making and consequences.

Engineering has consequences.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

True, but those who have managed to successfully complete a BS degree will end up with more opportunities than someone without a degree. Unless you're just not trying.

Those of us with no degree are not able to so much as submit a resume for an attractive professional position. Engineering? Yeah just forget about it, with no BS degree.