1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Ebay Paypal SCAM??????

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 6, 2015.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Sold something on ebay. Buyer is new account with no feedback. screen name looks cheesy. BS meter was at 50% then I get the payment info and it looks like this.... Seems to be to many names involved. Sent an email asking them for a land line phone number and "Tammy" emails back only cell number.

Ebay user name- ustamm-gehumygo

Buyer
    Jaret Holland
    [email protected]

Shipping address - Confirmed
    Tammy Bailey
    1676 Floral Rd
    Pleasant Plains , AR 72568
    United States

Thoughts?

2. Tell them their grass looks like shit.

3. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Check with eBay about buyer protection if you're concerned.

You could also request to ship it c/o of you're concerned about the name. E.g.

Jaret Holland
    c/o
    Tammy Bailey
    [blah blah address]...

If you ever have an eBay issue, golden rule is get it addressed BEFORE 90 days...

4. sdg

sdg *

I only have a cell. Not that unusual anymore.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Is this a $10 item or a $2000 item?

I'd give the cell number a call, and just say you were confused by the two names and wanted to make sure that Jaret or Tammy ordered the XYZ product. Phrase it that lets them know you are trying to protect them in case neither of them ordered it..

Lots of people only have cell numbers now.

6. notbostrom

Probably over cautious but that username looks like something someone on an oil rig would come up with

7. [​IMG]

8. notbostrom

Broome being the only legitimate ebay buying corresponding from an oil rig.

9. That's better. :D

10. Motomfg

Motomfg Well-Known Member

About a year ago ebay started giving buyers the option of a guest checkout. They dont have to create a account. Ebay assigns them a username. That is what it looks like to me. That is why they have 0 feedback. If you open their feedback page it will show you they have been a member since " ".

No home phone is not strange. I haven't had one in years

11. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Fixed.

It doesn't seem too sketch to me. I don't have a landline, and neither do most people these days.

They are confirmed, meaning the account is somewhat legit, and they are corresponding. I'd say it's worth taking the gamble if you're not sending anything too $$$.

12. notbostrom

thanks for the help guys

13. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Golden rule of ebait/paypal: If it feels sketchy, don't!!!

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Suuuuuuure it's legit

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

i'm going through my first eBay BS right now in like 10 years of doing it.

Punk kid in college is trying to extort me. I have Reported to ebay and all sorts of stuff.

He bought the item and my listing doesn't do refunds or exchanges. He likes the item but wants me to partially refund him because he needs the money to buy books. After looking at his feed back this is his game.

this is his last message to me after me telling him I've reported the incident and sent them all the messages.

"perfect then ebay will see what kind of trash u are, i told u i could not afford u imbecile"

I'm trash for making him honor his bid apparently

Ebay and Paypal will probably fk me though. Buyers seem to have a lot of protection

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Has anyone else been receiving phishing mail from someone calling themselves Paypal? I've been getting emails looking like it's from Paypal for about 4 months telling me that my account is "limited" because of a claim against it. Of course, there's the link to go to Paypal to "authenticate" my password and bank account information. So far I've been forwarding the messages to Paypal's spoof address which sends the usual thank you message from Paypal but no explanations on what they find concerning the phishing mail.

I've been tempted to reply to the emails telling them to go piss up a rope but I'm holding my tongue so far. Probably not a good idea to reply huh?

17. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

I get those too. Just report or delete them. I got one recently from Tyga Performance too. Scammers get email lists and try to get you to give up your passwords.

18. ton

ton Arf!

there isn't a human behind those emails. you'll only be trying to offend a robot that will use the opportunity to scrape all the info from your email it can use to give to its overlords...

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Damn! You're right. I sure as hell don't want to piss off a robot. :)

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

If your item is of value, do yourself a HUGE favor by taking a video of the shipping process; showing the serial number or other forms of product ID, then taping up the box with address. Post it online and send the buyer a link so they know you mean business. That way, they can't claim intentional misrepresentation of the item.

I had someone buy an iPhone off of me two years ago; absolutely perfect condition. He gets it and sends me a photo of a scratch up phone and wants his money back. After some research, I learn that it's a popular scam; they keep your good phone, send back the crappy one and pocket the money. Had to make a bit case at eBay, which was a pain. Fortunately, the scam is popular and they picked up on it.

What most sellers don't know, is that eBay favors the buyer some 80% of the time. IN their eyes, the seller is guilty until proven innocent.