1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen 4 zx10 died while running, can't diagnose the issue

Discussion in 'General' started by masshole, Sep 7, 2015.

1. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

You've overlooked the obvious...it's a Kawasucki :)

Sorry it was just too easy. I got nothing for you.

2. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Check for power to the headlight connector.
    No power main fuse, link and or relay's. Ecu doesn't control the headlights.

3. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Check for power to the headlight connector.
    No power main fuse, link and or relay's. Ecu doesn't control the headlights.

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

What was happening mine kept blowing the fuse. The flash did it though. It kept blowing the 20amp fuse but going through the ecu. Replaced the battery and the ecu and fixed the problem.

5. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Unplugged the Woodcraft keyless harness and plugged in the oem ignition pod- with the key in the on position the bike comes on- no codes on the dash.
    But it's not turning over and I don't think I hear the fuel pump come on either.

6. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

This one is a Kwikasfaki... when it runs that is.

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

You checked the killswitch, right?

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Yep, it's good.

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I think Cajun was right- there's something about the flashed ECU, Bazzaz and the lithium battery that doesn't go well for this bike.

I'll play with it some more when I get home tonight, still not diagnosed.

10. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

From what I can gather either the flash fried it, but it was delayed, meaning it took a while after the flash to fry the ecu.... OR the battery dropped down low enough to send a weird ass charge to the ecu. This is what my flash guy that now works for Woolich.

Hope you sort it man.

11. eel

eel Well-Known Member

Can someone explain how this ECU flashing (in general) can create so many dud ECUs???
    And I don't mean ECU that just fails to fire an injector or coil but sometimes causes really bad electrical faults!

And sometimes they don't happen right away, sometimes after a few hours of use, etc
    That is a high price to pay if you are racing for a championship, etc.

12. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

have you tested the regulator??

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Muffler bearing?

14. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Most bikes have a main fuse separate from the fuse box, most of the time it is near the starter solenoid. Did you check that also.

15. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

tip over switch? If key on and no pump...Imobilizer resistor not hooked up? The stock key switch still no pump look for tip over switch or relay connection. Flash ecu....bummer seen a few with issues come in. peep ask me why you no flashy see above....

16. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

She's alive again!

All I had to do is get another ecu reflashed and swapped out, get a new fuel pump, new rectifier/ regulator, new battery, new starter switch, new starter relay, new tip over sensor and she miraculously fired right up.

I couldn't diagnose the problem. Resorted to asking for help from a friend who is quite knowledgeable with everything electric and we still couldn't pin point the issue.

Started swapping parts out and it now works. I'll send the previous reflashed ecu out to be tested and see if it got fried. Other than that I'm still unaware of what happened here.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

So which part you threw at it made it fire up? Dont tell me you put ALL the parts in one shot without testing after each one.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'm going to guess that's what happened

19. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

:eek::eek: Holy hell next time buy a multi-meter and ask for help.

Glad you got it running.

20. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem on my RC-51. Turned out it was the wiring harness, the rear half where it went into the six thousand pin connector that plugged into the ECU. Several of the little teeny wires that came out of the main harness had gotten yanked out of the back of the multi-pin connector and were making intermittent contact. A new half a wiring harness fixed it right up. Of course, not before I swapped out the ECU.

Anyone need a VTR1000RR ECU?