1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swimming pool heater question

Discussion in 'General' started by tjg412, Sep 17, 2015.

1. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

I know guys on here are swimming pool technicians and I appreciate your past help. I have a new issue I'd like some feedback on. I have a Laars LLG 325,000 BTU propane pool heater made in 1997. The heater worked fine until last winter when a pressure valve broke and leaked chlorine water into the inside of the unit. The water corroded the main valve and all the connections and now I can't even get the pilot light to light. I've talked to some local pool guys and they say one that old shouldn't even be attempted to be worked on, it'd be a waste of money. But it worked fine before the water got in it. My question is would it be worth trying to replace the valve (part #R0096900) to see if I can get it going again? I can get one for about $250. Or are there any other troubleshooting ideas I should try first? A picture of the valve is here (https://goo.gl/photos/42iRiomrbQf7i7pe9) where you can see the corrosion. Click the pic to see larger version.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Replace it. IMHO the labor spent to try to get that one safe to operate will cost more than a new one.

3. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

I'd be doing the work myself, no labor cost, just parts.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Replace it.

5. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

What would be your suggestion as a replacement? I have a 40,000 gal in-ground vinyl pool.

6. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

If you are comfy doing the work yourself and can afford to throw away $250 if it doesn't work. Give it a shot.

Some people are scared to death when it comes to working with gas. Just check all connections w/ soapy water before you light that bitch.

I imagine a new higher efficiency heater will have another 0 at the end at least.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There are a lot of variables to consider. Use this. It should get you close.

8. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

Thanks!

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just billy bob it and run some copper tubing through the ol' gas grill and fire it up. Cook your burgers and heat your pool at the same time.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just turn that baby on, when the liner melts, it's too hot.

11. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

A grill/pool heater combo aint a bad idea :crackup:

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Wait half an hour after eating before getting back in the pool. :tut:

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I just built a lit waterfall/firepit combo last week...

Attached Files:

14. joec

joec brace yourself

Thats pretty cool. Nice job. Looks awesome. And i hate almost everything!

15. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Feel free to call me tomorrow and I can go over stuff, I do some warranty work for Jandy, and Pentair. 864-561-1325 www.aquastaclean.com

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I put a Rheem on mine. Rheem and Raypak are pretty much the same unit.

Very happy.

Only reason I replaced the old Raypak was because my neighbors tree fell on it.

The new ones are all stainless/powdercoated. They don't rust.

Only thing I had to replace on my old one was a transformer for I think around 75 bucks.

This is over a 10 year timeframe, and the people I bought the house from had it around 4 years before I bought it.

Check out intheswim.com or amazon. They ship them right to your door for free sometimes.

I think I got a 260K BTU for around 1800 bucks delivered. Don't quote me on that though. My pool is 38 x 18 with a walkout. 10' deep end. I'd guess it's 35K gallons.

I got the model where you run electric supply to it as well as gas. Didn't want to mess with the MV shit breaking.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of replacing bearings, in Pentair Whisperflo pump. Should the pump be bolted down?
    I find it strange, it's just sitting on a concrete pad.

I have an old Teletyne heater, rats have chewed almost every wire. I haven't needed the heater, water temps been perfect this summer. Heater hasn't run in 10 years or so.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thank you sir

19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Did you say FORTY THOUSAND!!!! Our pool is 20k and I think its kind of big...

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Is the plumbing to the pump solid PVC or flexible?

Do not bolt it down if it's solid.

I wouldn't bolt it down if it was flex either.