1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHEAP classic/kit/fun cars

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Aug 31, 2015.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

A guy offered me an MG midget in trade for a Suzuki I have on craigslist. I couldn't commit to a project of that intensity, but it got me itching for a fun car that I could buy my dad as a 60th birthday present, and then help him fix/build, and borrow it for dates with the wife :) I also think it would be pretty cool for my daughter (19 months) to have pics with her Grandpa in his "hot rod" later in life.

I don't really have (m)any requirements for such a build, other than it must be reasonably cheap, and generally a DIY project. My dad and I are handy, but not technical. Anything we purchase would be in running/driving condition.

I have toyed with everything from a full-on kit car (hard to find pricing, as virtually none sell engines with the kit), to something like a super-beetle, to a resto-mod 60's mustang.

So go ahead an rattle off some suggestions for cars that will:

- make people smile and wave
    - at least make a lot of engine noise, if not accelerate quickly
    - be cheap(ish) to purchase
    - reasonably easy to work on and find parts for.

If the car can be "fast," or handle decent, that's great too, but it's not a requirement.

Also, my dad is every bit of 6'1. He has shot-down my attempts to buy him a miata, claiming his feet are too big. (I would drive it in socks, but this is a guy who sold his first bike after a year and decided it 'just wasn't for him.')

2. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

I was going say a Locost (home-built Lotus 7 replica) would fit perfect, assuming you bought a near-finished project but the footwells (and car in general) is cramped.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

MGs are easy to fix, cheap(ish) parts are available and fun.

What is he asking cash wise? Any rust? Any engine knock?

4. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

6' 1" in an MG is tight. I'm less than 5' 6" short, and it's cozy for me.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I had my bike up for $1800, and would have taken $1300, so not too much.

It actually looked okay, but I couldn't see myself driving it much (certainly no more than the street bike) and it takes up a lot of garage space. If i'm going to do that, I either want to be in love with the car, or have a second garage (which is in the works as we house-hunt).

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That exomotive car looks fun. I like the race version with the full cage.

8. Exocet gets my vote, inexpensive and fun.

9. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

porsche 914.

[​IMG]

cool car, still cheapish, easy to work on.

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

How bad is rust with 914 and the MG?

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was looking at 914's the other day. Decent ones can be found in the $4500 range. I had an Alfa, 914 should be a piece of cake!

12. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

That Exomotive DBR1 kit looks pretty sweet. A Miata underpinning with Aston Martin looks. What would a build run, maybe 20-25k? That is a tempting goal. A Ferrari Daytona kit would be pretty sweet too.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

15. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I have a MKII midget. I'm 6'0 and 182lbs. Size 12 should and I can't switch the high beam without challenge with my foot. Once in the car it's comfy. Getting in and out is a deferent story.

Fender wells rust out along with floor pan and side apron. Parts are super cheap through moss motors.

Front rotors and pads were 45$ Both sides!

What about a fox body 5.0 notchback. I always wanted to build one of these with a 32v cobra motor

16. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  17. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

240z It's still on my bucket list

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

19. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

This summer I bought an 2002 Audi TT-R Quattro convertible with a 6 speed manual trans. 120,000 miles with great service records. Paid $6,500. This car is fun and cheap. And I've had the top down every day and enjoy the heck out of it. It may not be a true classic but it is a neo-classic for sure. Seems like there's plenty of leg room. And it is the most fun car I've ever owned. Not a motorcycle but as close as you can get with 4 wheels. Zippy and slices through traffic well. Maybe this will fit the ticket for your old man

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Smart car Diablo. Look it up.