1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help from the GSXR gods

Discussion in 'Tech' started by crashman, Aug 20, 2015.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I think I may have tweaked the frame on my 09 GSXR600. Looking at part numbers online it appears that the frame is the same from 06 - 10. Anyone know what is compatible with what? I tore a bunch of stuff up and am trying to get this thing back together as cheap as possible. Thanks in advance.

2. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Nope................

06-07
    08-10
    11-15

3. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what makes you think you tweaked the frame. Only way I have ever heard of to check one was to get it measured.

4. surfingsk8r

Oh and you are correct the 06-10 frames are the same part.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have not stripped it down yet but I had a pretty hard highspeed crash and the bike did a parts shedding barrel roll. Forks "look" straight but something looks off so I am just assuming worst case and trying to get my ducks in a row before I start tearing in to it.

6. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

If Forks are straight? I seriously doubt the frame will be tweaked. Maybe twisted Tripple clamps ?

7. surfingsk8r

I would bet it's the lower triple clamp being bent. I have the same bike (well an 08) and I have done that a few times. Does your front wheel not point strait when the upper clamp looks like it's centered, that is always what happens when I have bent the lower anyway. Also measure the forks with a dial indicator.

8. surfingsk8r

Dammit Shaun you beat me to it.

9. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Lol

10. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

I would take this opportunity to take it to a frame shop, have them check it and straighten if necessary. Many bikes are tweaked when new from the factory and getting them straightened can sometimes have a surprising improvement on the handling. Odds are after that kind of crash that something is out of alignment.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thanks. I had not thought of triple clamps. I have only done a visual with bodywork on so forks could be tweaked a bit too. My left side is finally working good enough that I can work on the bike so when I get home from work next week I will start tearing it down and see for sure what is going on. I just wanted to have an idea what I may be spending.:D

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Maybe look into getting another bike...keep the trashed one as a spare/parts bike or make into a "B" bike?

Nothing better than having 2 of the same bikes when traveling to the track.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

2 problems with this. I lack room in my current garage due to the other motorcycles and the finance department at my house is very opposed to me getting another bike.:( I can justify getting repair parts but another motorcycle will get me in hot water. I could probably justify a rolling chassis though!:D

14. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

Have you considered contacting GMD to see if the frame is straight?

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That was what I wanted to do once I get it stripped down. I was just trying to think ahead and get as knowledgeable as possible so I will have a plan forward no matter what I find.

16. Gonzo523

Gonzo523 Active Member

I have an 07 frame located in Houston :)

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I didn't think there were any 2010 GSXR's////

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

They (japan) didn't import them to the U.S is my understanding.
    Hawaii may have got some directly from the Japs.