1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Residential water pressure too high?

Discussion in 'General' started by duc995, Aug 18, 2015.

1. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Had a neighbor say he had a pipe burst and cause a flood in his house and the plumber said his water pressure was too high. I checked mine after hearing this and it reads about 95 psi, which from my Google searching and YouTube video watching is too high. Apparently I need a pressure regulator and an expansion tank to treat this, but my new construction home (2002) has never shown any ill effects and I don't want to screw up the nice shower (if reducing the pressure would give a weak shower flow), but I also know it's better for ones appliances and such. Anyone had these issues before?

2. Hooligan

Hooligan Just a wanabe

There may be a regulator on the meter itself. I had the opposite issue with my house, and a phone call to the water company fixed it the next day. Give them a call and see if they will turn it down a bit, I think normal range is 60 to 70 psi iirc.

3. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I don't know if I have high water pressure, but local code has changed in the last couple of years so that I had to have a pressure tank installed when the water heater was replaced...I figured it was just another way to pad the bill.

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

That seems really high!

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I have a10 year old house. There's a pressure reducing valve just past where the water line comes into my house. Turn the screw to adjust pressure in house. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of pressure tanks for people who have city water.... Seems odd. Guess it'd work the same as those of us who have well water though...

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

They are talking about an expansion tank. The system becomes a closed system with the installation of either a check valve or pressure reducing valve and it could cause a problem when thermal expansion occurs. Pretty standard anymore.

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I have one of these and I don't have an expansion tank.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Expansion tank isn't necessary to regulate pressure. The regulator is.

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

But I want high pressure, illegal shower heads!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So crank it up if your pipes can handle it! I want a pressure increase but that would take adding a pump in line to our system :D

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean you meet current code.

When your water heater heats up water the pressure in the domestic system increases. The possibility exists that if the pressure relief valve on the water heater fails and the pressure becomes too high the domestic water system can explode. Google exploding water heater if you want to see what it looks like. It can be bad news.

13. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

An adjustable pressure reducing valve at the meter is the best way to go.
    Or you can install one in a small valve box after the meter if you have an outdoor spigot which splits off from your service main before the pipe enters the house. If you install the prv after the split, then you can retain full pressure for this outdoor spigot, which can be nice.
    Small diameter copper and hdpe pipe can handle hundreds of pounds of pressure generally, and high pressure is very unlikely to cause a leak on its own. Your appliances don't like the high pressure at all though. Higher static pressure in your plumbing system can lead to leaks down the road from the pipe moving and rubbing on studs, etc when you suddenly turn on and off water and the water hammer moves the pipes in the wall slightly. A lower static pressure will reduce / eliminate this. God help you if you have water pipes embedded in the slab.

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I have an expansion tank on my water heater, but, not the entire system.

15. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I modified an underperforming shower head in my last house. Standard water pressure is sufficient to get a ridiculous shower! :D

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I have all the faucets in our office building bathroom set up so the outlet screen is just tight enough no one notices. Allow me to take them off to bypass the stupid eco flow control in them and actually get enough water to wash my hands.

17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Then you are covered as the water heater is the device which creates the thermal expansion.

18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I've got one that they use to bathe elephants at the circus. Interested?