Let's tell a story about Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'General' started by Psychoholic516, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Psychoholic516

Psychoholic516 Well-Known Member

*I'll go ahead and pre-admit that I overthink everything and that is probably why I'm still slow. Cross posted on the STT site to get more input*

I love watching F1 drivers and Air Race folks visualize the track before they ride it. I have ridden Road Atlanta a bunch of times and I pick up time every time I do, but I'm still slow but getting better. One of the things I heard that helps sometimes is to tell a story about the track in your head then execute on that story as you're riding it. Maybe you guys can help?

Let's assume we're starting at the bridge on the straight.

Full throttle, rolling through the gears, on brakes and downshift at the end of the wall. Start turn in at the grass wedge for late apex behind corner worker stand, 3rd white coping from the end. Trail brake through apex.

Roll in to throttle at apex, aiming for 2 trees at top of the hill, go to blend line on right. Aim for apex at second white mark on coping on left.

Top of the hill, on the brakes, grab downshift to set up for 3. Over short edge of large coping on right (green at the track, extends into the grass a few feet).

Directly over peak of white line on right. On toes, flick bike right, then left, move over on seat and hang off, push bike up for fast push out of 4 down the hill. Full throttle down the hill, looking for end of coping on left (staying to the inside left) as turn in point. Middle of coping for right side apex through the esses, should be at full throttle (might take short shift so bike isn't tach'd out while leaned over) and try for straight shot up the hill.

Take a later turn in to 5 than expected, go to end of coping on right before turning in, apex of 5 is 3rd coping marker from end on left. Should be rolling hard into the throttle and pushing to the right and pushing the bike up for hard charge down the hill.

Roll through gears. Brakes on second line, set up for turn on on left side of 3rd line. Apex of 6 is at the end of the second from last white coping on right. Stand bike up, take downshift.

Turn in for 7 is at end of coping on left. Apex is actually around the turn, end of second to last white marker. Stand bike up as early as possible and roll hard into the throttle for a good push through the back straight.

Stay to the left side of the track going under the Mazda bridge, full throttle and clicking through the gears. Aim for the edge of the 'kink' at 8.

Some say you can start braking as late as the Tudor watch sign, I'm usually a bit early because it's still a little intimidating, usually I start braking hard at 3rd line. Grab a few downshifts and set up for the quick 10A/B. Turn in is at the end of the coping on the right.

Apex for 10A is middle of coping, same with 10B, push the bike up and get on the throttle- might take a short shift to keep front end down. Aim for yellow box on Patron bridge. If you have the guts stay on the throttle over the hill. Hard on brakes maybe at the tar line, catch downshift at some point down the hill, off bike to the right.

Turn in is usually where the tire marks are - not a good indicator otherwise. 12 has a slightly later apex than you'd think, push bike up and roll hard onto the throttle for good charge down the front straight.

Let me know what you think and if you have any areas that could be improved.

Chris

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

It doesn't take much braking in turn 1. It's a very fast turn, and there's plenty of room to blow it and stay on the track, so bring yourself in a little too fast some time. You may get too fast and miss the apex, it's ok, keep calm and turning and there's plenty of room to get back on the line. Next time around after that, slow back down just enough to hit the apex. Get that turn fast and it will be a great place for passing.

3. Psychoholic516

Where do you like the turn in point for T1 at RA?

4. sowega

sowega #710

In 12, there's a 2-3 inch wide tire mark going over the white line on the right edge of the track; that's my turn in

5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I don't use too many markers other than brake markers when I race. I'm trying to visualize it in my head, but I pretty much brake at my marker, and then go be feel after that. I believe I'm turning in right when the track starts turning. So a late apex for me on that turn, unless I'm trying to pass someone.

Watching some of the guys on the bigger bikes (Hayes, Hayden, etc.) at my last race, they looked like they 2-stage turn in. There's an initial lean with braking, and then a late full lean. On my 600, it doesn't take much slowing down, so I just do 1 smooth motion.

One of my favorite study guides for that track is watching DiSalvo's video on YouTube. He has a good Rider POV video on that track where he walks you through his lap.

6. 27stormin

27stormin Well-Known Member

Try telling the story with a stopwatch in your hand. Start and end the story at the start/finish line. Your storytime should match up to your laptimes. Most people replay the story in their heads very quickly because that's how their mind is interpreting it. I used to do the same thing while on a treadmill. I would close my eyes and go through a lap while I was running and open them back up to check my times.
    It may seem boring to sit there for a 1:30-40 or whatever but that's what your looking for while your on the bike is to be bored. When running a 1:40 laptime is boring, you can find all kinds of places to make up time.

7. Psychoholic516

I'd slap someone in front of their own mama for a 1:40... :)

8. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

Why stay to the left going down the back straight? It's not like you need to set the kink up like a corner. From the exit of 7 I'd make as straight as line as possible to 10.

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Being on the outside of the kink is not fun. Lots of marbles and a big concrete wall.