1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ride Dunlops? old ntec vs current ntec

Discussion in 'General' started by FriedKalamari, Aug 4, 2015.

1. FriedKalamari

FriedKalamari Well-Known Member

Where did you buy from?

I'm actually seeing em here... http://stores.racetireservice.com/DUNLOP-ENGLISHSLICK-KR108-REAR-195/

Pretty nutty pricing at 365 a rear. What bike are you putting em on?

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

never claimed to know all about dunlops, but anyone that has raced at the front of expert races for the past 10 years KNOWS the difference in the UK made ntec and everything that came after.

You guys make it sound like racers don't ever talk to one another ? for fucks sake.. LOL.. i have helped guys set up bikes, adjust engine braking, get gearing sorted, i have been paid to work with guys, etc. And we are talking about front running experts.. we ALL talk, and you guys should JUST ASK! as in ASK a front running expert that has been on dunlops, and let them tell you what i'm telling you..

3. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Australia gets the USA Ntecs for racing with, and they are total SHIT there. Well that is My opinion after testing them 2 years ago in Australia anyway

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I just spooned a set of Goodyear Adventures (with Kevlar) on the 2500 last month. They're pretty cool.

5. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

While the front might be great on the Michelin (can you even get them yet if you aren't a sponsored racer?), does Michelin make a 180 slick yet?

For what I get out of life on the Pirellis rears, there is no way I am going back to Michelin for awhile, just way to cost prohibitive.

I am by far not the fastest guy out there, but to be able to run into the 1:35's at both Road Atlanta and Barber and still have plenty of life left to run more sprints on one single SC1 rear after 3 Road Atl sprints + Barber Solo + 3 Barber Sprints + practice laps, and the rear still could do at least 3 more sprints. I never got anything close to that amount of life on a Michelin DOT, or would have trusted it not to put me on my head after 4 sprint races.

My major issue that is keeping me from going faster is not the which brand I am on, it is seat time and race time. The Pirelli just lasts and gives me the feedback to know how hard I can push it, which means I save money in tires and in less broken parts.

Just my .02's

6. MELK-MAN

a 180/55 slick ? why...

or do you mean a 180/60 slick like pirelli ? the 190/55 is very comparable size wise.. and yes, there is a 190/55 EVO slick from michelin.

and i'm not trying to tell you to switch from pirelli to michelin.. i'm just trying to debunk all the mumbo jumbo out there that the dunlop spec tire is somehow the greatest thing .. it's NOT ! The old uk ntec however, may have been the best tire ever made. but everyone should stop concerning themselves with that as it's no longer available.

7. MELK-MAN

the 211 gpa .. yes. total shit. guys were instantly faster on the current gpa pro (they look very different tread pattern wise, so easy to tell one from other) .

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

i'm not looking to start a dick-measuring contest.. but i've raced in the uk, in a pretty big-deal race, on the uk tire. and i've raced here, on the usa tire.

the usa tire, when the uk tire was around, wasn't as good as the uk tire. the usa tire, now, is very comparable.

my bigger point is, whatever tire a rider does best on, is because the rider likes it best. for any given club rider that is squeezing every ounce out of every last quarter-inch of chicken strip out of XYZ race tire, there's another rider out there that could go the entire race, faster, on Q2's. pick a tire you like for its wear and its feedback, and run it.

9. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

I've got some new UK6680's left over from our Endurance days a few years ago. They were our "go to tires" if we had problems with US Ntec's when we were first developing them. They have been stored correctly, so for shits and giggles, I pulled one out and used it at the VIR trackday last Friday. I can tell you straight up that the new US KR451 7455 has more grip than the UK6680. I rode them both back to back. But what do I know? I'm just a fat, old, slow guy!:D

10. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

That there them are the suckers

11. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

The US tire has came a long way in the last two years. They are the same compound numbers, but nothing else is the same.

12. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

13. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Make your shock as long as it will go eye to eye (101mm without looking at notes and .975 spring) Forks flush with tripples, .95 fork springs (I am 170-175lbs). We ran 25mm ohlins front, never tested the 30mm enough to find a good set up. SC0 is the softest, SC3 the hardest. We ran. SC1 rear and front. Most guys liked the SC2 front but I road the rear of the bike more so the softer front lasted stupid long.

Pirelli pressures were around 30 hot front and rear and adjusted per conditions. Never more than 32psi hot, sometimes down to 29.

Run regular clipons up front as the cbr is very neutral and needs more weight on the front thus the regular clipons. Forks. Any lower than flush and you will drag the covers if your moving.

Any tire will net you great times as long as you take the time to find a good set up. This takes time and won't happen over night so pick a tire and stick with it. It takes fast guys along time to get it right... do not rush it or make wholesale changes simply because something does not work. Rome was not built in a day and there is no silver bullet.

14. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

Please leave this poor dead horse alone...

15. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I've gone back to Micherelli. All the magic of the Michelin front and the pretty damn great Pirelli SC1 rear.

16. MELK-MAN

:crackup:

17. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

I always love tire threads on here, everyone always has their favorite and defends them. They are all very different tires, and looking at sizes and specs on paper doesn't say much. Just take a Dunlop front tire in one arm and a Pirelli front in the other and you will notice they even weigh a significant amount different.

My opinion as a mid-pack expert. I found the Pirelli's to be softer in carcass, they felt incredible on the brakes and turned well. They also (in my opinion) masked a lot of bad suspension setup since they were softer and lighter by absorbing a lot of the track imperfections within the tire. When I switched to Dunlop it was feedback overload at first, until I got my suspension sorted (by a professional) and it really worked well for me. Both tires allowed me to do stupid things I shouldn't have gotten away with, but at my pace I wasn't exactly on the edge like the very top riders.

As for rears, both brands worked great for me, the Dunlop UK tires were incredible, at a ridiculous price, but I feel the new DOT's (GPA Pro) are getting close to what they were. I always felt the Dunlop rears had more edge grip.

All these tires need to be set up properly. If you have a common bike (SV, R6, GSXR, 675, etc..) there are tons of people that know how to make all the tires work beyond most of our abilities. You need to ride what you are comfortable with, have support for (trackside if you are racing), and are priced so you can afford to be out there.

Currently I run Q3's at trackdays for coaching, I know I won't be riding more than 85% and they feel great, last forever, and I can go out without warmers. For more competitive riding I use the current GP Pro's. I have a lot of people local that support Dunlop tires, and I can get them at prices I am comfortable with. Depending where you are, what you are riding and your ability, you might find things different.

18. FriedKalamari

Dug up some old pics of my r6 in case anyone's curious. Here is the 195/65 KR108 on it.

Click the link for the full res, you can read the sidewall if you zoom in.
    http://i.imgur.com/3l5h31R.jpg

[​IMG]

19. FriedKalamari

This wasn't a Dunlop vs others thread. It was more about Dunlops only and the old ntecs vs the new ones. All is good discussion.

When you all say GPA-Pro, you all are referring to this tire correct? http://stores.racetireservice.com/GPA-PRO-SET-120-190/

I ask because theres also the d211gpa, then i'm also seeing the 212gpa. http://stores.racetireservice.com/DUNLOP-D212GP-SET

20. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

Correct, that is the one I am referring to, which is the current MotoAmerica Spec Dunlop.

Sorry if I went overboard on Dunlop vs. the others, I was following the previous conversations more than the thread title.