1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Lefty!

I found a shop in Montreal doing a clearance on 2014 models. Scalpel 29er Alloy 3. Carbon was a lot more money.

The Magura brakes are very nice. SRAM X7/X9 group set (2x10). Left PBR100 and a Fox CTD shock. 100mm of travel front and rear.

[​IMG]

2. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Great bike. Congrats.

I have those same brakes on my Focus 29r, and have been GTG so far.

3. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Going from a Jekyll 2000 to the Scalpel has been a big leap forward! Other than the saddle I love it. Looking at some of the Bontrager saddles and I think I found a good replacement.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

someone told me spend at least $1 for every mile you will ride in a year.
    When youre talking higher spec cassettes and chains... its a matter of ounces for triple the cost ($35 vs $124). If you're just in it for fitness... a middle spec bike will give you lots of trouble free ride time. As you wear stuff out... then upgrade it. Eventually youll have enough high spec parts to justify a suitable frame to compliment those components. :D
    I put 1400 miles on my stock tires (with tubes) before changing them.

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

On the Rockhoppers the Comp and Expert both use the same frame. They are both 20ers.

The forks are different with the Expert being a little bit beefier with more travel. It also has a handlebar mounted lockout which was a pleasant surprise.

The things that made me want to upgrade were the following:

1. Brakes -- The Tekros are not the best in the world to begin with. The Geminis on the Expert are a higher spec than the Aguilas. My shop guy doesn't like the Aguilas.

2. The shifting mechanisms on the expert are all Sram X5 or better. The Comp is a mix of Shimano and Sram. I'm a Sram guy and X7 10 speed rear jumped out for me. The Comp is a 9 speed.

3. The cransket (the thing you pedal) is a higher spec on the Expert.

4. The big one -- The comp didn't come in the color combo by son wanted -- red and black.

Now keep in mind that the frames are identical. Everything on the Comp is just fine. Everything can be upgraded if needed as things wear.

I'm really impressed with the frame and quality of the Expert. I have no doubt I would be just as impressed with the Comp.

These things seem to run big to me. But I am a road guy. I got my son a small and I could ride it -- I'm almost 6'. My shop recommended that I get a Medium when I pull the trigger.

The most important thing is to buy from a shop you like. I don't know where you are but get a feel for the different shops if there are a few choices. I like the small locally owned ones better than the chains, but that's just me. The most important thing is that the shop is helpful and not full of arrogant pricks.

I'd post a video of the owner of my favorite shop doing his dumb dance for retiring leaking inner tubes, but I don't want the ban!

Just in case you are in Georgia it's Senoia Cycle Works. You can thread your way through the Walker Stalkers on a Saturday to visit. https://www.facebook.com/SenoiaCycleWorks?fref=ts

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Oh, don't forget to budget for a good helmet, pedals, and shoes.

You need the helmet. The pedals and shoes you will want before long. Also some decent shorts with a chamois helps a ton assuming mountain bike shorts have padding.

A computer can be fun but a smart phone in your pocket works just as well.

There are 71 folks in the WERA Strava group so far. Join Strava for free and then join the group. https://www.strava.com/clubs/wera

7. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

We used to go up to Winter Park pretty often. I haven't had this bike up there yet. I broke my thumb this spring and haven't been able to ride it. Broke it while riding said bike :down:

8. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

Alright guys I need some Ideas. Ive currently got an el mariachi set up for roadie shit. Been having fun riding "the loop" and cruising down to the UofA and shit on it, but am wanting to change it up a bit. I toyed with the idea of getting a true road bike, but I just dont need another bike. But I really want drop bars for some reason. So I think I want to set up my el mar with some.

Currently its basically a rigid 1x9 and dont get me wrong, it works and its comfortable and blah blah blah. But I cant get over how cool it could be with drop bars. so ideally Im thinking of doing the DB and 2x10. I have to stick with disc brakes, but im really not finding a ton of affordable roadie disc brake sets. I know sram has some and they are super pricey. Anyone have any experience with the bb7 road disc set ups? Im guessing they have integrated shifters too?

Ideas?

9. tunawest

Alright guys I need some Ideas. Ive currently got an el mariachi set up for roadie shit. Been having fun riding "the loop" and cruising down to the UofA and shit on it, but am wanting to change it up a bit. I toyed with the idea of getting a true road bike, but I just dont need another bike. But I really want drop bars for some reason. So I think I want to set up my el mar with some.

Currently its basically a rigid 1x9 and dont get me wrong, it works and its comfortable and blah blah blah. But I cant get over how cool it could be with drop bars. so ideally Im thinking of doing the DB and 2x10. I have to stick with disc brakes, but im really not finding a ton of affordable roadie disc brake sets. I know sram has some and they are super pricey. Anyone have any experience with the bb7 road disc set ups? Im guessing they have integrated shifters too?

Ideas?

10. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

so basically your making a monster cross bike. I like it!
    my Specialized Crux cyclocross bike had bb7 mech. disk brakes and I loved it. you can find them pretty cheap on ebay too

11. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I have bb7's on my cross and love them. My wife's road bike has TRP Spyre mechanicals which I like the actuation better than the bb7's

12. tunawest

yeah, essentially a monster cross but with some schwalbe big apple tires for roadie shit

13. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome and look forward to pics. I have Clement X'Plor tires on my Cross bike and have no problem hanging with the roadies or the gravel guys. I just adjust the pressure a bit. Here is a link: http://clementcycling.com/ush

14. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I just bought a Specialized Diverge. It is rad. Look it up.

15. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

I commuted on a set of BB7's for a while, awesome brakes for that purpose. Bike is Kona Honky Inc. The whole reason for having a "road" version of BB7 is to have the same pull ratio as what regular roadie levers have. So yea, controls are the same as regular road bike.

IMHO they don't have as precise of a feel as hydraulics. Modulating them at a lock-up threshold would be difficult. Otherwise, no complaints at all.

16. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

I have a Niner RLT, so a drop bar gravel bike. I had some Hayes CX-Pro mechanical disks on it. They were fair to OK compared to my XTs on my Superfly mountain bike. Felt better than road calipers. I just replaced the Hayes with a set of TRP HY/RD cable pull hydros and It now feels like 90% of the XTs. Most of the mechanicals only move one pad, which requires the rotor to flex and pretty constant fiddling with the fixed pad positioning to get good feel and stoping.

The full hydros from SRAM or Shimano have master cylinders in the levers, I shyed away from those cause if you break a lever you are SOL and have to buy a whole new set

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

If the weather holds, I'm going to a demo day tomorrow in Hood River. Went into a well known shop here in town and spoke with a great guy yesterday. What is the deal with the new 27.5 and 29 "plus" tires? He said they just hit and were looking like the next wave of tire advancement. Looked more like the fatty tires.

18. Sweet. It's always fun to demo bikes.

I haven't ridden them, but I think those tires are basically an intermediate step between regular and fat bike tires. Easier to pedal uphill, but you still get some of the fat bike feel.

19. tunawest

well, after doing some research, im putting off the whole monster cross idea for now. Buying a house, and blah blah blah.... also need to look at getting a new rear wheel for my spearfish....

So everything out here is chunky goodness, which is great, but it takes a toll on shit, especially wheels and especially for us bigger dudes. been having issues every few months with my rear wheel getting loose and just getting fucked up. So last week it got bad, and I took it in to get it rebuilt and the shop owner sat me down and said the life of my wheel is not much longer. They nursed it, but im going to be getting a new one built.

So, what do you guys think? Im sold on the stans flow hoops, but as far as a hub, im not sure what I want yet. Im seriously thinking chris king and beefy spokes.

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

If you don't want to buy a new rear when for the next five years...ENVE with I9, Chris King or DT Swiss hubs..Hope Pro II rock too but you will NEVER sneak up on anyone.