4K UltraHD

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

I've had 150up/150down internet with FIOS for over a year now. FIOS has no caps and my connection is honestly overkill for 99.9% of the stuff I download. Its not cheap.. I pay about $250 a month for all premium channels, 4 cable boxes and 150/150 internet.. but its definitely fast enough to watch streaming 4KTV with no issues. If I want more, I can always pay more. Speeds go all the way up to 500/500 for my neighborhood.. while other neighborhoods have 1Gbs service (1000up/1000down). Hell Comcast just announced 2Gb/s service.. albeit for $300 a month (http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/13/8949207/comcast-gigabit-pro-price-300).

Also understand that any 4K content that is streamed over a internet connection is heavily compressed, but still looks great and absolutely better than a native BR disc that is full bandwidth 1080p. The same way that Tidal for example offers lossless streaming music over a 1.4MB/s connection that should sound exactly as great as a CD.

I know not everyone has access to these type of 'super' internet speeds here in the US (while outside the US.. 1Gb/s service for under $99 a month is fairly common). But reality is the same type of individual who has no issue shilling out thousands of dollars for a new 4K setup and buying 4K movies/media.. is probably the same type of individual that also has the fastest internet speed available to them. Thats the way technology works. You got to pay.. to play!

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Make sure you use the right HDMI input if you want 4k@60hz.

· HDMI Port 1 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.2 support
    · HDMI Port 2 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.2 support
    · HDMI Port 3 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.0 support
    · HDMI Port 4 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.0 support
    · HDMI Port 5 SpecUHD Video @60Hz, HDCP 2.2 support

You'll have to use the 2.2 ports for all your 4k sources, and it looks like only port 5 is HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2

And hopefully you dont have an ISP with a data cap. 4k streaming/downloading will chew it up in no time...

3. thrak410

• Because you'd have to sit like 4 feet away to tell the difference between 4k and 1080P on a 50" screen.

Assuming your wifi router/ap supports 802.11ac

Futureproof?? :crackup:

True. But if you also want it to double as a TV, it must have HDCP 2.2 or no 4k will pass.

They've made it to stinking confusing...

Here's a good article from just a few months ago. It will give you an idea on the state of confusion haha http://www.residentialsystems.com/f...hat-supports-4k-caliber-copy-protection/86810

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Ill let the tech settle down before diving in. How many people who bought hd-dvd movies still think that was a good idea?

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That was a little different though, apples and oranges. That was like Beta and VHS.

This is just higher resolution. TV's just keep going up 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i/p

6. Daekwan

There are AV receiver that supports HDMI2.0 & HDCP2.2 for under $500 easily these days. That solves the problem of a single 4K60hz input, just run everything through the AVR and enjoy the surround sound too boot.

I just got back from a Costco run for groceries.. and price differences are so close there is no way I'd buy a 1080p set at this point. The prices of 4KTVs have fallen incredibly low. You should really take a look at current prices.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

it looks better than real life.

8. thrak410

Which?

9. Daekwan

10. thrak410

The Onkyo only has 10.2Gb/s bandwidth, so you'll be giving up your color space (or something else) to get the 60fps... its doesnt meet the 'true' HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 spec. (which is over 18Gb/s)

Nice edit :p The Yamaha still doesnt support the full spec, only 4:2:0 color.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  11. Daekwan

So spend more money and get the full spec if thats what you want. Reality is anybody watching 4K right now.. is streaming it and certainly isnt pushing 18Gb/s over any internet connection.

You might as well be crying that a new Ferrari only does a 199mph.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You're making a fatal mistake in comparing bandwidths, HDMI is uncompressed, what you're streaming via Netflix IS, so it's entirely possible to get 18Gb/s over HDMI from a lower BW feed over the net.

13. thrak410

I just took a quick look because I wasnt sure about this BUT

I can get a Sharp 1080P 50" display for $379 @ Best Buy
    A Vizio M-Series 50" 4K display is $799 @ Best Buy.

TO me, that is not a small difference. I'd much rather get a 60" 1080P for $699 than a 50" 4K for $799.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

FYI, I wouldn't bother with 4K unless you were going to at least get a 60in.

15. thrak410

Me either, but thats the size Daekwan was talking about, so I used it for a comparison. :)

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but don't the GoPro's offer 4K recording.....anyone try it on their 4KTV yet.....any thing worth wowing over?

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

There's a decent amount of 4K GoPro footage on Youtube. Just search "GoPro 4K". I stream a few sample vids yesterday. Pretty sweet looking.

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

TBH, I'm still in awe over the standard 1080i, I was just wondering if the GPro 4K footage is as eye popping as 1080i was when it first came out.