1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carpel Tunnel and Arm Pump (Laurie Acree)

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

Well I need some information here folks

I live in Winston-Salem NC and I am starting to have some numbness in my hands and i think this could be part of my arm pump problem

laurie Acree i heard Lee had some surgery a couple of weeks ago did he have it done locally in greensboro or did he go somewhere else let me know i could use any information that you might have
    thanks,
    Critter

2. Yo, Critter. What you described in the original Laurie thread sounded more like carpal tunnel syndrome than arm pump to me. You need to see a doctor before you go shopping for a surgeon. You might respond to what we affectionately call "conservative therapy."

Tell you what, let's do some BBS (or is that BS?) medicine. Tell me where it is, what it feels like, what you can and cannot do and when and how it started.

3. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Hey Critter. Did the numbness start while you were on the track?

Lee went to Greensboro Orthopaedic Surgeon in Greensboro. The surgery was a success and the recovery time is 3 weeks off the bike. He got his bandages off today and everything looks good. Lee has a high tolerance of pain but he didn't have to take pain killers and even Tylenol after the procedure. He said it was a piece of cake. Lee had to see a Physical Therapist to get the correct diagnosis and reccomendation for surgery. It wasn't like he walked in and asked to be cut. [​IMG] Lee saw Dr. William Gamig. The # is 545-5000. We will be at VIR this weekend with Harwell. Lee asked that you come by and talk to him about it. He did A LOT of research on Compartment Syndrome. He can probably help you with your questions on the symptoms. I hope this helps. If not I'm sure Lee can help answer some things this weekend if you're there.

4. Laurie Acree

There you go Critter. The Dr. is now in.
    Dr. bad iguana that is.

Oh, just to reinforce what Dr. badiguana said...Lee had severe arm pump. He did not have any pain on or off the track. It caused numbness only when he raced. If you are taking any supplements other than daily vitamins, stop taking them now. Also, extreme hydration can aggravate compartment syndrome. We tried everything to prevent it. Surgery was the last resort.
    Myth to prevent arm pump: protein or potassium supplements. It doesn't help a bit.
    Lee tried massage therapy but that didn't help either. Every one's case is different, like Dr. badiguana said...get it checked out. Hope this helps. I know how frustrating it is to have your arm pump while in the middle of a race. It was very frustrating for Lee at Road Atlanta. His arm pump has been going on and off for years now. We finally had to decide to take care of it. It sounds drastic to have surgery so you can go faster but, it is a simple procedure.

[This message has been edited by Laurie Acree (edited 06-11-2001).]

5. Laurie, I'm glad things went well for Lee. This is where I get to say I told you so [​IMG]
    I'll be at VIR, too. If you want to, Critter, you can find me there. #220 blue naked SV 650. Big white Chevy van with TN plate. I suspect you know Tom and TIW and I usually hang fairly close to them. I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. I'm not an orthopedist, but sometimes we primary care guys do OK with diagnosis.

6. Critter

Critter Registered

If I hold the phone up to my ear with my left hand my wring finger and pinkie finger on my left hand go numb if I put my hand on my head then my fingers go numb. I do not notice any numbness when I am riding but i have developed arm pump

if i make a 90 degree angle with my left arm my fingers go numb and so does the whole left side of my hand??

when I am ridding i have noticed that I am starting to develope a death grip on the bars because I cannot feel how hard i am holding on to the bike

7. GSXRGIRL

GSXRGIRL Guest

I think I have carpul tunnel in one of my arms. [​IMG] Gonna go to the doc when I get my new insurance info. That's what I get for having a desk job!!

8. Critter

Critter Registered

thanks laurie

was that extreme hydration or extreme de-hydration????

I wrote down that number and I will give him a call

9. Laurie Acree

I just read your post to Lee and he said you have different symptoms that what he had. Okay, Mom mode- You need to go the Dr. this week Critter. Your numbness off the track is not good.

Dr. badiguana is this radial or carpal tunnel that Critter may have?

10. Laurie Acree

Extreme HYdration. Lee drinks a gallon or more of water everyday. He was told by a fellow racer and fitness guru that this aggravated the arm pump.

11. Critter

Critter Registered

oh man i don't wanna go cuz then they will tell me not to ride [​IMG]

what do you think Doc??

does it sound serious??

I did take a bad fall a couple of weeks ago at kershaw and my shoulder was sore but now that problem has healed and as soon as my shoulder healed i started to loose circulation in my hand??

12. Laurie Acree

You live in Winston? You should come over one night for dinner this summer.

13. Laurie Acree

Lee's Dr. knew he would get on the bike at the end of June. He scheduled the surgery right away knowing he would need the recovery time. They were very cool, none of the typical BS stories from Dr's. You know You shouldn't ride those things. You're gonna get hurt. And then they go out for a smoke break.

No offense Dr. badiguana. [​IMG]

14. Critter

Critter Registered

really i thought that would have helped it. so more is less at certain times??

very interesting! thank you

I also get the numbness when I type too much like now my hand is getting numb but only on those two fingers and on the left side of my palm

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

i think those lonley nights aggrivated critters "arm pump"

16. Critter

Critter Registered

I would like that I just moved to winston a couple of months ago I used to live in atlanta and I do not know too many people here in the triad.

17. GSXRGIRL

GSXRGIRL Guest

That's what happens to me. Does it hurt at all? My arm does fall asleep quite often now that I think of it...

18. Critter

Critter Registered

ah yes I was wondering when your smart a## was going to chime in

I would have felt all alone if you had not taken the easy shot

thanks dickboy

oh sorry

i ment stickboy [​IMG])

19. WERA147

WERA147 Active Member

Hey Critter Rog. said he had an axe and he would be glad to work on you. Your Money back if we can't cure your nummness. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Laurie Acree

Well, you will have to come to the next kneedraggers get together so you can meet all of the racers in this area. Half of Arclight's crew lives in Greensboro. Let's make sure we get up at VIR.