1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iWatch

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchcakes, May 1, 2015.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am still struggling to understand why a person would want an expensive piece of tech on their wrist that tells them what the other even more expensive piece of tech in their pocket is doing. But I also turn my phone off quite a bit because 24/7 connectivity makes me crazy.

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

It is easy to perfect others ideas and set the gold standard as you say. Apple has not invented anything. Their awesome engineers take existing ideas and products, put them in a shiny box, and dumb down the UI and call it revolutionary. You said it yourself in your first paragraph. As for companies like Samasung, they are far from following Apple. The Galaxy phones have continually had features that the Iphone doesn't. Then a year or more later IOS suddenly has these awesome new features. No real hate on Apple, but they do not innovate the way their fans say. They repackage ideas, and then try to sue their competition. As for them being an American company. Who cares? All of their product is made overseas in near slave like conditions. All so they can have huge margins.

3. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the Apple watch, I'd agree but they haven't focused on a fitness tracker. That function is just added to the watch. What I was saying is if Apple decided to focus a device just for fitness tracking it would likely be better than anything anyone else currently produces.

I still don't have a tracker because I haven't seen any that are all that great. You can't find an UP3 and that is supposed to have the bioimpedance sensor not the typical optic sensor

Good luck with that one. If you buy anything it's likely made outside of the US or at least has parts sourced outside the US. You wearing clothes right now? They were likely made in a sweat shop in SE Asia. At least Apple employs a bunch of Americans to design and bring products to market. The fact that they are made with cheaper labor doesn't change that.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Apple has some awesome Product Designers. For the most part I find the product and package to be elegantly done. They have been responsible for some innovation but certainly don't have a corner on the market. In actual use, there are things I like better about Android devices, not the least of which is affordability.

As for anyWatch, not interested.

5. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wow, I was unaware that no device manufacturer other than Apple employed Americans.

7. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

WTF is an iWatch?

China. :D

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Our owners? Ok then.

9. Speedracer74

Speedracer74 Well-Known Member

I am a new watch nerd... not an apple watch nerd, but a nerd none the less. I was tired of carrying a second phone (work and personal, but wanted to retain my personal number (for personal business and due to the fact my friends send me stuff I could get fired for). I chose the Samsung Gear S. The Samsung S allows you to insert a sim card and use it as a stand alone device. There are certain limitations because it uses android wear OS. I can answer calls, text, run fitness apps, but it doesn't send or retrieve email and some other features do not work unless you have a phone to sync it with. I have a work phone that I can do all my browsing and all the other stuff on. 2 weeks into my watch and I would say it does about 90% of what I would ever want to do on a watch/phone.

The Ideal watch to get if someone was looking for a full stand alone would be the LG Urbane LTE. That is a full stand alone device with a full operating system, but it is only available in Korea.

That is all I am crawling back into my nerdy hole now.

10. Crybaby™

If it's so easy then why didn't the originators of the concepts get it right? As for "dumbing" down the UI. If you mean make it more usable and function better than I'm all for "dumbing" everything down. I really wish MS would dumb down the UI on Windows to make it function better. Oh wait, that's right, they ripped the original Windows off of Apple's concept.

Again Apple doesn't repackage ideas. They improve them and they do it so well others then imitate. BTW In that industry, everyone sues everyone for patent infringement. Samsung and Apple have so many lawsuits flying around it's ridiculous. I think they file them just to stay ahead of the next lawsuit from their competitor.

As for being an American company. At least they provide some higher paying technical jobs in the US. I bet way more than Samsung does.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Please post pics of your Apple tattoo.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Still haven't seen anyone wearing one but then again I haven't looked.

What does an applewatchthingie sell for anyways?

13. Crybaby™

Go back to the dungeon to start arguments. I didn't start a thread bashing Apple, I just find it interesting that people like to bash a rather decent company that makes decent products for no other reason than to act high and mighty that they don't need them

Still no one commented on my previous statement below

Here's a zinger for all those complaining about others being lemmings and conforming. You do know that is the epitome of hipster behavior right? So here's a choice either you must buy and wear an Apple watch or consider yourself a hipster. Now what are you going to do?

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have not bashed Apple.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then I will. Apple sucks and the apple cult sucks!

<posted from my ipad>

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:

No shit!

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Not sport the stupid hat, skinny jeans and mangy facial hair. That keeps me well outside the hipster category even though I think that people are lemmings for diving headfirst towards the next technology trend.

18. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Indeed. :crackup:

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Fwi, Apple ripped off the GUI from Xerox. Again, not an original concept. It is easy to roll in and make improvements to existing designs and concepts. Not so easy to engineer and original idea.

20. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

I'm not going to call it by some lame-ass name that Apple said it should be called for their marketing purposes. It's a ghey iWatch and that's that.