1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about plastics for VIR 01-02 Aug

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Thatdudeguybro, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Thatdudeguybro

Thatdudeguybro Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm looking at doing my first track day/license class at VIR this August. I am currently safety wiring my bike, and I have a question about plastics (or really just the overall look of the bike). I noticed the handbook states that the bike must be in good appearance. What does this mean exactly? I am sanding down my front and rear fairings to paint them to look 'nice'. Does the bike have to be in IMMACULATE condition, or is that stated just to prevent people from showing up with total garbage-looking POSs?

BTW, any tips (especially for cost-savings; I'm finishing my masters and I'm a broke college student) or tricks for a newbie are welcome.

Thanks a bunch!

2. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

It can be the uggliest bike to ever roll across the paddock. This has nothing to do with how "good" the bike looks from a cosmetic or style point of view. I believe it means that it must appear "solid", mechanically sound, and safe to go out on the track is all...

3. shaugdog

shaugdog Pimpalicious

It will take you approximately 18 seconds to look around the paddock and know you have nothing to worry about :D Get yourself safety wired and save the paint for your first crash.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it's covered in old chain lube and so dirty we can't see the safety wire then we might have a problem but pretty is far from a requirement. You'd be amazed at the "paint" jobs that have rolled out on track :D

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I want someone to post Q's FZR, but I also don't need an OCD trigger for today...

6. Thatdudeguybro

Thatdudeguybro Well-Known Member

Haha Thanks!

And to avoid making an entirely new thread: Are tire warmers required? I know they're recommended, of course. I didn't see anything about them in the rule book, but maybe I overlooked it.....

7. Recommended but not required.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Also...how stringent are the plastic rules for same type of bike.

I have a SS Ninja 650 with only one manufacturer that makes plastics for it. I have/will retrofit a Ninja ZX10R body to work with a better company's plastics. Will that be ok?

9. Yes. SV's run all types of bodywork.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Varies by class - and the LW Twins rules allow for any bodywork so you're good to go.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

RS 250 and RC51 bodywork look great on an SV650.