1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weld it, scrap it, or 200 degree epoxy ?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by PantyBuncher, Jun 23, 2015.

1. PantyBuncher

PantyBuncher Well-Known Member

that pit/blast mark is 0.070 deep

http://www.grainger.com/product/LOCTITE-Putty-2000F-2TKR6?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2TKR6_AS01?$smthumb$

08 gsxr 750

what do you say ? weld it / scrap it / hi temp aluminized epoxy ?

Attached Files:

2. PantyBuncher

(correction: 2000 degree epoxy)

3. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Scrap it or weld it. Price might be about the same.

4. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

It may go without saying, but if you decide to weld it be sure the person doing so knows what they are getting into. That close to the bore, along with the soon to follow deck job aren't as simple as joe at the local auto shop may think. This is in no way an assumption of you planned extremely thorough tear down, weld up, torque plate, über flat mill work, just a warning from a guy who has followed a few mistakes, and made a couple as well.

In the land of 300 dollar used cases, might be less work to go that route considering it will be less work.

5. PantyBuncher

Yeah, welding seems problematic, it's a horrible location. And it saves zero on the labor. And still not 100%.

I'm inclined to try the epoxy and copper coat. Does that sound like very low chance of success? like too low to bother trying?

The epoxy is $100, so yeah, if i found some cases, that might be better ROI. Not racing anymore, so if it fails, eh, won't keep me off the box. Shame to waste a perfectly good engine for such a trivial failure.

Thx for any experienced comments, leads on engines/cases.

6. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

SCRAP it man

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

A good welder can fill it, a good machinist can deck it, you can check it for round, but it will probably blow head gaskets when you're done.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If it were anywhere else on the engine I'd go for it, but not there.

9. PantyBuncher

i have a line on gsxr 06/07 cases, are they the same as 08 ? or do i need something like 08-09 ?

10. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

They are different. PM me, I have a mint set of '08 750 cases.