1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

www.roadracingworld.com

Discussion in 'General' started by iomTT, Jun 13, 2015.

1. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Taking kids racing Part 4 Quote

By John Ulrich

Kids who really want to race are going to race sooner or later, one way or another. They may have to wait until they turn 18 (like I did), scrounge up second-rate safety gear and jump on some poorly-prepared, ill-handling pile of junk they put together themselves or get from somebody else, but they will race. If you're a parent and you can, you're better off accepting that fact and doing what you can to help your kid race as safely as possible, with the best gear and best-prepared, most reliable racebike you can get your hands on. :clap:

Bang on big time:bow:

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I couldn't have quoted that better myself. it is EXACTLY WHAT I DID. Mom and Pop NEVER came to any motorcycle races, I entered (ever). now they are gone, and I wished they had. kids need that support, whether you are into the choice or not, they will follow their heart, and dreams. don't smash them, help them (if you have the means). Ski

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I didn't start racing until I was 25, but my parents didn't come to a single race until I was doing some AHRMA stuff at Road America at around 35 years old. My dad was stoked and really enjoyed it, even though he has never ridden. My mom saw someone else crash in T5 and would not leave the pits after that, and said she was miserable with worry the entire time I was on track. :crackup:

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Best track mom I ever met was Tom Fetsko's mom. We were at a track day at Pocono and she came to watch. I could be wrong but I don't think she had seen him on the track before. She was filming him when his foot peg fell off and he found himself dragging off the side of his bike until he let go.

Back in the pits, we watched the video. Dead steady picture. She did not even flinch. Like she didn't give a shit. I laughed about it for years.

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

My mom came to watch just once at CMP. It was a Sprint, so over fairly quickly; I pulled back into my pit and my mom is running towards me, crying her eyes out. About the time I get off the bike, she tackles me with a big ole hug and just said, "I love you" and walked off to the car. Dad shows up a second later and said she was crying the entire race and wanted to leave immediately because she couldn't stand to watch anymore after the start and everyone rushing into turn 1.

That's the one and only time my parents ever came to the track.

Now, with that, I will say they supported me in every way possible emotionally and equipment wise if and when they could.

6. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I was 23 when I did my first race of any kind, and I had built a piece of shite out of a parts bin just to get out there.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I do get kinda jealous when I see kids like Damian Jigalov or Gavin Anthony or Garrett Parker out racing and really enjoying the hobby. :D

8. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

My father is a huge race fan, even does track days with his vintage Oswego Supermod. He has never seen me race not even a foot race, never once. He did coach my soccer team for years when I was a kid, but has never once watched me race. I don't understand it cause I have invited him and I know he loves racing but he never shows up.

My mother passed away before I started racing quads and bikes, she hated motorcycles though so I don't think she would have came and watched.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

^that, and were not even in the pack, racing yet.

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I get a kick out of reading Earl's take on bringing up his kids racing...:rolleyes: He definitely got results, but not from the way he said.

11. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

For as much as Earl spent to support you and Jake Lewis in the WERA series it's incredible to me how consistently critical you are of him. Maybe there's a connection between where you are now in racing and your attitude.

12. John29

My parents never went to a race either, and they are also gone now. I would see kids w their dads at the track and envy them. One of the reasons I resolved to help my kids if they wnted to race. One of the four did, and overall I had a great time going racing w Chris. Wouldn't have missed it for anything. Parents who are not involved have no idea what they are missing.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Hey, aren't you at the track now??? Get off the Beebs and Have some FUN and shit.

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Heck! I hate being at the track without my wife and daughters when I am racing. My youngest daughter is the only one with "The Bug" and loves racing. Shes only done indoor flat track at this point,but regardless,I will always do whatever I can with her,and simply cannot see doing it any other way.

15. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Hey JU - what's going on with the coloring in the photos in that article??

Someone get a little crazy in Photoshop? (Or was there not enough editing done?!)

16. John29

Some weird website thing. They look right in the original printed story.

17. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Thanks (again) for writing that series. I go back and read the whole thing from time to time to remind myself of why we are doing this and how easily I can screw the whole thing up.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some parents can't watch their kids. Evelyne couldn't watch her son, when he was on track she was in the back of a room somewhere pacing.

19. John29

I think you're doing fine. You've got a good kid there.