No love for Belmont, American Pharoah, Triple Crown?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol Acree. I googled that exact explanation. I'm a little nervous. :) I had never actually thought about it as long as I've been following the ponies but assumed it was tradition and about when horses mature and excitement and money. Bingo!

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

If you are ever in the vicinity, ride through Kentucky horse country near Versailles which is close to Lexington. Pretty much all of the big farms (Calumet, etc) look like your picture. You know you're big time when the Queen of England stops in to check out your stable:D

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Interesting factoid I ran across in some article or another... In the Preakness, which was basically a typhoon, one of the jockeys started out at 120 lbs and ended up at 135...fifteen pounds of water and mud!!!

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

:crackup: At 75 years old, he'll do eet for free :up:

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Cool article, thanks. My favorite factoid went to, "the Kentucky Derby, for example, took its name from the Epsom Derby, which in turn took its name from an English aristocrat, Lord Derby." While reading it, I was was thinking, 'Lord Epsom.' I always assumed that derby was a horse racing term, not a proper noun.

7. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

Always follow the Triple Crown every year since my Dad was into it when I was younger and thoughts that maybe I should have been a jockey when one of my old high school wrestling foes made it big in the sport as a jockey!

Was glad American Pharoah won the Triple Crown and I was pulling for him but I heard and read that Secretariat would have beat him by 15 lengths. American Pharoah is obviously a great horse but tells you how special Secretariat was all those years ago.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gets even goofier with them all have the same "birthday" too :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That was cool info, I always assumed it was based on the town of Derby in the UK.

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Horse capitol of the world.

11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Secretariat had an enormous heart, maybe something like 18-20 lbs compared to regular 7-10 lbs. It's speculated that he received this characteristic from his maternal side and passed it onto a number of his female offspring (male offspring not super impressive). Secretariat American Pharoah's great great great grandfather.

12. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

yeah I have read about Secreatariat's heart size. Over the twice the size. And I saw the family tree for American Pharoah posted in the USA Today last week showing his "relatives". It showed Secretariat and some other great thorughbreds in Amerian Pharoah's lineage.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

looks like a lot of folks thought that way on Sat also.

"94,128 $2 American-Pharoah-to-win tickets were bought at Belmont Park and Aqueduct Racetrack, but 90,237 of the $2 tickets, worth $3.50, went uncashed." -ESPN

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just saw some horses on TV that reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask for weeks:

how in the world was that horse not retired after winning the Triple Crown? What kind of crazy insurance premiums do they have to pay to keep it racing? Can he win enough money racing to make that worthwhile?

15. ew422

ew422 Well-Known Member

Had the same conversation with a friend recently. Why that horse would ever be exposed to any physical danger is beyond me...

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Stupidity is the only thing I can figure. If it was my horse, that sumbitch would barely have to walk on his own, let alone run a race again.

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

This horse is only getting stronger...I applaud them...he was bred to run, let him run...

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=ehalt_bob&id=13487328&src=desktop&rand=ref~{"ref"%3A"http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Damerican%2Bpharoah%26oq%3Damerican%2Bp%26gs_l%3Dmobile-heirloom-serp.1.0.0l5.3195.12822.0.14623.11.4.0.7.7.0.222.653.0j3j1.4.0....0...1c.1.34.mobile-heirloom-serp..0.11.861.2EOWykC33Ko"}

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lolol I don't know what that gibberish was new phone rolled in Haskell hope he rolls on in Travers...

19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

As kids we were into showjumping. My Sister Roisin rode/captained for Ireland, & won euro championships in Germany. My dad knew how to buy the right ponies. My brother Hugh competed against the best in Ireland, won everything, until it was time to go pro....dad couldn't come up with 80k pounds back then (1985), for a Nick Skelton horse.

Hugh's son Dylan, is in his 2nd year of riding The wee fucker is good. I'll post I vid in YouTube section.

I know Melinda G's parents well. Good folks!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Travers on today at 4:00 p.m.