1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help a noob gain confidence in the pneumatic circumferential wheel protectors.

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Jun 3, 2015.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

My ovaries are cringing just reading that.

Coming from 4 wheels. I'm looking for the slip of the tire to start. Some of those tires have a nice gradual slip to break away and a spin. Others don't slip much before thew break away and you spin out.

I'm having a hard time relating that on the bike.

2. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

this.

3. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

You are a long way from sliding your tires. At this point, your lines aren't consistent enough to be worrying about pushing to the limits of adhesion. Pushing for traction limits without a consistent line is asking for a saftey gear testing session. Focus on lines, braking points and shifting points for now and the speed/lean angle will come with time.

It's natural to be impatient and want results fast, but some things just take time and repetition.

4. baconologist

It's not knowing where the limit is and what it feels like there, on track. That's what's bothering me. As I said, I know how my Kendas feel when i push the front too hard. Are DOT's similar?

5. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

When you talk about kendas, I assume you mean car?

Totally different. Cars are easy. You crank in steering input, the tires grab. You crank in a little more and they start to understeer, with all kinds of auditory and tactile feedback. You crank in a bunch and it either pushes or spins.

Bike's are all about lean angle and throttle. There is feedback when you're approaching the limits of adhesion, but it's no where near as obvious as what you get from 4 wheels. Practice pushing the front on your DR. (this would be a LOT easier on a mini bike!!) Try it at slow speed on the brakes in sand. Lean it over then gradually grab front brake till you lose the front. As soon as it breaks, let go of the brakes and try to pick the bike up with upper body. This is very similar to losing the front on the track. It happens very quick, but it is saveable. If you have to think about it, you probably won't.

Still, I think you are better served just working on your lines. Find someone that's willing to show you theirs and go just a little faster than you while you follow. Seeing them make it right in front of you repeatedly will give you the confidence to match their speed.

6. baconologist

The Kendas are on my DR. If the way it behave is similar to the ninjette. Then I do have an expectation of what the edge feels like. Cool!

7. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

My "light bulb" moment came at Black Hawk Farms in the last turn when I did just as Mongo described. :beer:

8. joec

joec brace yourself

Minis with slicks. Stock suck ass suspension. Youll learn what the slide feels like, and where it happens and whats possible. Even if you can find a big open parking lot to play in. Stock wheels do not work the same. I used to be able to slide an xr100 around like hayden backing in th rcv, or marquez mid corner. Its just plain insanity what you can get away with. Tossing it on your knee and letting it slide wont even phase you after that.