1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting track time for minors

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Apr 12, 2015.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Other than WERA and JGP, are there TT groups that allow under age riders? Not counting the mini groups.

2. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

TPM has had younger kids on track a few times. Don't know what the conditions for it were but I would give them a ring and ask for details.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

I also remember X-Man running with was then NEBSA, he was a wee little tike. I swear IIRC he was like 12 or who know maybe younger, and crushing the hopes and dreams of each Advanced rider as he passed them.

4. baconologist

I've looked at a handful of trackday org web sites so far. Not a one of them mentions age restrictions in the rules or FAQ. Waiting for TPM to return my email to see if they would allow him. I'd like to get more track diversity than JGP. He's already told me just want to lap for now, this year and move up to racing next year.

5. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Contact Sportbike Track Time. Draik has been riding with them for several years now, it used to be that he wasnot able to do all the tracks they go to, but I believe they have added several tracks that minors can run. Their Novice classroom and tracktime is great for new riders too.

6. baconologist

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just E-Mail Trevor for details....

[email protected]

Hope to see you guys there in the near future!!

8. baconologist

Email sent

9. baconologist

Update 5/24/15;

Good to go!
    WERA
    JGP
    Team Promotion

case by case with rider review
    N2

minor program in development
    STT

From all the conversations this is an insurance or track owner restriction in most cases.

10. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Don't overlook the mini bikes you can learn a lot on a kart track.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes and crashing at 30 to 60mph on a 110 lb bike is much less severe than 50 to 90mph or a 300 lb bike.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Talk to the N2 guys. They're quite reasonable.

If a kid has the skills, they'll go out of their way to get him or her open track.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

This is where it really needs to start in this country.

14. baconologist

agree,
    It's actually easier for a kid to just "jump in" to racing than it is to get practice days!

RK, Jim and I have been talking. I just wanted to post an update of what I've found so far.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I had a great time sharing the track with Jackson Blackmon yesterday!! Those Moriwaki kids are damn fast:up:

16. joec

joec brace yourself

With the current limitations on kids access to road racing, providing the guidance and mentoring needed is super important I think. Where else is that possible..having a kids group is super smart, and I definitely see that blowing up big..

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Aaron Stevenson's CornerSpeed has readily accepted youth riders as young as 9yrs old into their program. He has even hosted several "GP" weekends with a day at CornerSpin and CornerSpeed for youth riders.
    SST has also provided tracktime for youth riders with an age restriction of 14 at some of their tracks.
    Both organizations have produced some top level riders with Nick McFadden and Jake Lewis being just 2. JMO

18. baconologist

14 to 16 seems to be the cut off for most of the org's I've talked to. It's harder to find time when the kids are under 14. I'm trying to compile an accurate list of providers who will allow the younger group.

19. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

CornerSpeed

20. baconologist

Update 8/10/15

Good to go!
    WERA
    JGP
    Team Promotion
    N2 - for kids 12 and over.
    Under 12 requires a rider review during the first track day they attend.

minor program in development
    STT - haven't gotten any new news from STT for the under 12 crowd.

From all the conversations this is an insurance or track owner restriction in most cases.

I can't say enough good things about the level of professionalism Andrew was treated with at N2. The review and critique from Rob were top notch. All the help was what he needed to get up to speed at VIR.

THANKS Jim, Rob and HUEY!!!! for making this happen.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015