1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha R3.....would i be bored?

Discussion in 'General' started by RR_Kid, May 11, 2015.

1. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

So quick backstory is I've road 600's forever and then had a 6 year stint on a CBR1000RR street ride.

Ended up selling the 1000RR in 2013 to use the cash for an 03 R6 track bike and an 03 SV650 street ride.

Did some suspension and things to the SV650 to make it less squishy. I've ended up riding it very little outside of a few quick 30 minute back road runs and mostly commute on it. But I've found it to be boring to ride and styling isn't my choice I'd guess. Thought I'd like it for it's purpose of being comfortable and it fit my price back then, ended up I'm no longer a fan of it.

Well, now I'm starting to get the old man syndrome and being a towering 5ft 4" tall I'm starting to feel like the SV is uncomfortable to get on and off and to reach the ground when stopping and going in traffic isn't easy either.

Feel it's time for a change for something easier for my body type. The R6 will remain as the track bike....but I an thinking of selling or trading the SV for maybe an R3 as they do look R6ish and personally I think they're a good looking machine and I believe them to be a lower seat height as well.

But the million dollar question would be if I thought the SV was boring am I going to hate the R3 for the same reasons?

Anyone have one or know someone who might....what are the thoughts on them?

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Haven't owned several 250's which are similar, as an every day bike, they get boring. Coming from a bigger bike that is.

3. rhouck

rhouck wat?

What about the SV was boring to ride? I personally would not find the R3 very fun as a street bike, but it may not be for the same reasons.

Have you tried looking farther afield from supersport-type bikes? Personally, after tracking/racing, I have trouble finding them fun to ride on the street unless I'm being a gigantic idiot and riding way too fast.

Have you thought about the FZ07/FZ09, Street/Speed Triple, or other similar bikes? They handle perfectly fine for backroads, have a far better powerband for the streets, and yet don't beg you to hit triple digit speeds like the supersport bikes do. Plus the riding position is significantly more comfortable, including a lower seat height which would help those like you who are vertically challenged.

4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

sv650's for being "sport touring" have a very aggressive riding position.

Best thing i did was add supermoto handlebars which made you sit upright more. Totally transformed the bike.

Also, doublecheck the seat height....dont think the R3 is any lower than the sv650.

5. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

I think the boring factor came from getting use to many years of snappy throttle response from inline 4's in the modern 600's and really snappy throttle and speed of a 1000cc prior to going to the twin of the SV....at lease that's my guess.

Seat height on my SV is 0.25 higher than stock as I added a ZX10 Rear shock, so the 30.7in seat of the Yamaha would be lower for me.

I need a bike show that has every sport and sport touring bike available to sit on...then maybe I can find something that works.....HAHA :D

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

Grom /thread :)

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

FZ07 > R3

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

What do you find "exciting" about street riding?

if the answer is "being able to twist the throttle and leave 90% of cars on the road behind you," then the R3 will suck.

If the answer is "being able to wring the piss out of a bike without being more than 15 or 20 mph over the speed limit," then it's probably going to be a lot of fun for you.

honestly, your safest bet is probably to buy a clapped-out 250 and ride that around on the street a bit... if you hate it, don't waste your money on the R3. If you like it okay, an R3 is going to be better in every way possible, but not a ton faster.

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I think you'd be "stroked" :D

10. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

International Motorcycle Show

11. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I had a 250 Hyosung as a street bike for a while. Was a riot to be able to peg the throttle and bang through every gear without worrying about permanently loosing my license. Hard to do much full throttle on modern sport bikes on the street...

12. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Swap those clipons on your SV out for a standard triple with a good set of bars...add bored throttle bodies and a cam swap to the SV and you'll have a helluva great little street bike....guys who own and ride litre bikes always ask me what I've done to my SV after I let them ride it when we swap bikes on a ride....Zoran did a great job on mine...it's really pretty quick for what it is....at just under 80hp it has more than enough punch to it as a street ride....you can also carve that stock seat out so you fit more "into" the SV and not on top of it....this would certainly help getting on and off the bike....

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  13. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

You can also shave foam out of the SV seat, 0r swap your subframe from the 03 to an 04+ and it will bring down the seat height. You will need a new seat to match the 04+ subframe.

14. ped

ped Banned

just lower the SV. they still handle fine if you're not being retarded on the street.

15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'll add to the SV bit. Slowly tracking out my son's SV, but I love the bike. Full m4 exhaust, -1 front, +2 rear, PCIII and this thing is a blast to ride. If it were going to be a full time street bike I'd do the handlebar conversion. Now that I'm getting older (coming up on 40), the FZ09 will most likely be a bike in my future. I don't think I ever need more than that SV though. LOVE the sound and grunt that M4 gave it! Rarely hit main roads with it, it's certainly not an interstate cruiser. Can't imagine how much fun this thing will be with suspension. As someone who used to ride a 1000 on the street, I'll never do that again. The FZ09 might even be too much, but I want a fun track bike too should I ever get back on the track.

16. This.

You won't find a better and more fun street bike. I ride mine daily, regardless of whatever other bikes are in the garage.

17. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

I have a new R1 as well as the R3. The R1 is awesome, better as a track bike than a street bike IMO considering the riding position, power etc... Not that R3 is a bad ass little machine. Handles very well, comfortable riding position that is in between the FZ-09 and R1. Power is just enough to be able to enjoy the bike but not so much you are on the brink of losing your license every time you go out.

The brakes need some attention, they fucking suck. I have a set of Spiegler lines on the way now and will be replacing the pads as soon as they become available in a compound with a little more bite. May also throw a Brembo on it if needed.

Van