1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miller may be shutting down.

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, May 8, 2015.

1. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

Great shot, man.

2. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

Very sad. Since it has opened I have only been up there 4-5 times (I am based in Phoenix), but the facilities and track have always been worth the long drive. Last year I did a 2-day Rickdiculous school there (1 day on East, 1 day on West), and will likely do it again this summer. It is an amazing facility with a great track.

3. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

I drove from Colorado 8-10 times a year to test for 3 years and it was worth the drive every time. Not just for the track, but the entire Miller staff, USBA organization and the amazing friends I met and still have there.

4. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Thanks very much.

I'll never forget being at the first-ever event they had at Miller, back in April 2006. It was a motorcycle trackday. Construction equipment all over the place, as it was still not-quite completed. But all of us were so excited to have this INCREDIBLE world-class facility so close to home (even though it was six hours away from me, still way closer than our other, lesser options).

Who was the most excited of all? Larry Miller himself, who came through the garages to greet each one of us and thank us for coming out. He couldn't have been more pleasant and gracious, and it was easy to see how excited he was about his new 85 million dollar baby. Even with snow flurries that day while we were out on track, it was unforgettable.

Sadly, since his passing a few years ago, it never seemed quite the same to me and a bunch of other people I know. His heirs just didn't seem to have anywhere near the passion and commitment he did for it.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Well.. when you lead the world in the number of incarcerated citizens per capita.. And lawyers.. it makes sense. And yes you can make money. For cities with overcrowded systems, you get paid to house them. It's a pretty good business model. I would have never believed a county jail could generate a profit but it does.

6. caferace

caferace No.

x100000 gazillion.

-jim

7. caferace

caferace No.

A great shot from 2011 by my bud Jules Cisek. When it rains, it pours.

[​IMG]

I hope things work out, really. Ten year old amazing racetracks should not be turned into fucking prisons. :mad:

-jim

8. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

There is a group forming now. We are trying to get time with the county to discuss the property. There is money out there being put together.

9. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Nobody is turning the track into a prison. Read the earlier posts. The prison land is adjacent to the track.

10. caferace

caferace No.

I stand corrected, until advised otherwise. Regardless, I hate to see a barely broken in track fall out of use.

-jim

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

12. sdg

sdg *

It's complete bullshit and I'm very angry. The statement was patronizing and frankly offensive...I'm conflicted about boycotting or maximizing the time left....

13. caferace

caferace No.

That's counter-productive. If there is a fight left to keep a quality roadracing track active and you have resources at hand fight the good fight. It doesn't take much effort if enough people push and pull. But to sit on the sidelines and think "meh, what I think think won't help anything." Yeah. Make a minor effort. None of this is rocket science.

-jim

14. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Housing inmates into your facility can be profitable, especially if you have lots of room and don't mind dealing with complete jerk-offs. Back in 03/04, the county facility that I work at housed in 22 inmates for the US Marshals. We made money on those inmates to the tune of over $750k. So yes if you have the resources to build a facility that at capacity holds say 1000 inmates @ $100/day, you would gross $100k/day, $36,500,00/year

15. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Man this sucks...

I sure hope something gets worked out to keep the place alive.

I've only been here a little over three years but I've managed to make it out to WSBK, AMA, motocross, have raced my Supermoto out there and done a few track days on the big track with more I just signed up for this year. I'm not really a racer, but have definitely tried to support/participate at the track :(

16. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

We (myself, BOD of the USBA and an investors representative) have a meeting with the Tooele County Commissioner at 5 PM today to discuss the terms of taking over operation of the track. I'll post up as I know more.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Good luck!

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So much for one of my bucket list trackday locations...........here's to hoping there will be a turn of events!

19. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

TrackStar.......hoping for a positive meeting you you guys

20. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

^ what he said
    what a waste...it was definitely one of the best tracks in the country.