1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud clatter from engine

Discussion in 'Tech' started by R1Racer99, Apr 29, 2015.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips on the suspension set-up, everything should be good to go with that. Now I have a horrible sound coming from the motor to worry about.

I bought the bike a couple months ago and heard it run at the time, no problems at all. I haven't started the bike again until today and it had a bad ticking, knocking, sound that sounded like it was coming from the top-end. I let it run maybe 10-15 seconds hoping it just needed to get some oil circulating, but it didn't go away. I just got done changing the spark plugs, cleaning the air filter, and putting in block-off plates, so the airbox was off, but I can't think of anything I could have done to cause a problem other than dropping something in a cylinder, which didn't happen.

I'll be taking it to the shop this week but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what I could have done to cause anything like this from the work I did, or if a CCT or oil pump or something else would just decide to go bad after sitting for a few months.

Edit: '08 R6

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i run manual cct on everything.. but you are kind of asking the impossible without a vid for the guys to listen to (your shop will listen to it in person). This motor does tend to have a normal top end tick.
    I think you should just sell it to me for $1

3. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I'll give you $2.50 for it. That's way more than Gregs offer

4. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

$5 and I am in MN, so cash in your hand today ;)

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

$10 and I'll pay the shipping

6. R1Racer99

I kind of figured it was impossible but was just curious if there was anything I could have done to cause it. Bringing it in now, hopefully it's just the CCT.

7. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

sure you got your block off plates installed right, and sealed properly?

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Ok $20

9. R1Racer99

They didn't come with gaskets and seemed to be semetrical. Did I miss something on the Graves instructions?

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Do the Graves plates come with a plug for the airbox?

11. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I can't remember if the Graves plates have a recess for the reed screws, but if not you have to remove the reeds and then reinstall the gasket for the plates to seat and seal properly.

12. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

This

13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Way to much for me

14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

They have the recess. To the OP - leaking secondary air (reed valves) sounds like the engine is going to come apart. Make sure the plate and rubber gasket are in place. If not, the screws bottom and the block off plates don't seat.

15. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Kinda goes back to Rule 5:
    If the ________ was operating fine, and then I did a few things to it, and "all of a sudden" the ________ was making a really bad noise, IMMEDIATELY go back and look very closely at the things you just changed...

16. R1Racer99

Weird, I don't remember anything in their instructions about these screws. I can't even picture it in my head, I just took the bolts out, removed the pump, and bolted the plates on, I didn't see any screws or gaskets. Could any damage be done while it was running briefly or should I be ok if I have them installed properly?

17. R1Racer99

That's why I asked, I figured it made more sense that it was something I did than a random problem. I'm glad I asked though because I can save him some time and check that first.

18. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Doubt it would damage anything, but double check it.

19. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

+1 on checking the block off plates

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No. It just makes a lot of noise.