1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sv650 fork emulators

Discussion in 'Tech' started by svracer22, Apr 20, 2015.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Running the stock forks with Race Tech emulators, 20wt seems to be the standard and possibly switching to 30wt for warmer temperatures.

I can't seem to find any info about using these in colder temps. Looking at the extended forecast for the first round of the NC region at Grattan the temp probably won't even be 60°F.

I'm worried that with the 20wt these will be too slow in the cold. The rebound seems slow now just pushing on the bike in the garage this weekend and the weather is 70°F. Anyone put 10wt in one leg for colder temps?

2. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Would not hurt. Good luck.

3. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

No. My doesn't have much damping even with 20wt.

4. svracer22

Down to what temp was it still good?

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

It depends on the damper rods. Are they the traxxion drop in rods or modified stockers? If stockers, did you close down the small rebound hole? Did you drill a 3rd set of holes or did you blow out the existing two sets?

6. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Note that labeled vs actual oil weights can vary wildly between brands. Here's an old chart that shows the actual weights of different fluids along with a lengthy read which is well worth the time for the info or you can just scroll straight to the chart which is at the bottom of the page. http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/lowspeed.htm

7. svracer22

The rods I'm using are modified stockers with rebound hole closed and the existing holes opened up. The oil I'm using is Bel Ray.

8. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Difference???

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Jason-

If it helps any, just to add perspective, back in the heyday of the GLRRA organization I ran my '99 SV at Grattan in 45 degree April events and 85 degree August events without a tremendously big difference in the fork action.

My wife still runs it at track days but just not recently in extreme temp swings since the repaving over the last few years but I'd imagine it would be the same now.

Stock forks, race tech gold valve emulators, 20wt Maxima fork oil.

I think the point is that once you get your forks feeling good to you then the temps won't be that big of an effect. I think you guys are onto something though as to how any given bike's rods were drilled etc. will effect how to get to that point.

I can't remember exactly how my rods were drilled. Back in '99 these bikes were new to the world and I had a fellow in New Hampshire, Eric Madsen, do my forks.

I should be at the upcoming Grattan round on my '03 SV copper tank, grey fairing, grey duct tape. My wife will have the '99 SV blue tank, black fairing, black duct tape. We'll be in the lower paddock, feel free to stop by. Bring your own duct tape :).

Wes

10. svracer22

Just to follow up. This whole post became moot when the weather was actually 10-15 degrees warmer. The weather turned out to be 70-75 and sunny.

I ended up using 20wt BelRay in both legs and the rebound was good, maybe slightly fast. Anything warmer and I would need to change to 30wt in one leg.

Wes - I stopped by a few times and you weren't around, I will try to catch you next time. I think you are right that the weather doesn't make that much difference.

11. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Seemed to work just fine! :up:

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Jason & Jerry-

I think we saw more of each other on the track or grabbing breakfast at the hotel than in the pits. If the track would return the port-a-potties to the lower paddock like years ago I wouldn't have such high miles on my boots hoofing up to the can!

Since you've already mentioned your suspicions on fork oil I might as well confirm it. I've been running 20wt in one leg & 30wt in the other in my '03 2nd gen sv at Grattan since, well, 2003. Lap times seemed ok at the last round....:D.

Funny though, my wife's '99 1st gen (my backup if things go south) runs best with 20wt in each leg. Pretty sure it's a bit dependent on who tweaked the internal drilling when setting things up. I believe it was a 1st gen bike we were initially discussing here which is where I was going on the 20 wt. previous info.

Great weekend, hope to see you guys again.

Wes