1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gravel trap damage

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MotoCilino, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MotoCilino

MotoCilino Member

Sunday before last ended with a gentle low-side in Turn 5 at Road Atlanta into the gravel. Didn't think much of it until I took a closer look and realized that gravel traps are not anywhere as "fluffy" as I imagined them to be from televised footage. Looks like somebody took a shotgun to the left side of the bike.

I'm just wondering about anything that I should pay particular attention to when putting the bike back together. For example, I noticed several jagged nicks on the rear sprocket and some of the chain links. Should the chain be replaced? Will nicks on the links and rivet heads compromise strength? I had somebody point out that it would be a good idea to make sure nothing ended up in the exhaust or the ram air intake. (2008 R6)

Any pointers would be helpful.

-Paul

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Go through everything attached to an open hole for sure, amazing where gravel can get scooped into.

Small nicks on the sprocket and chain should be okay, check the chain links for any small stuff in between the side plates although that's unlikely.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

They are not built to keep bikes pretty... Glad your OK.. Just a FYI same outcome can happen at Barber, and Cmp as well... Don't ask me how I know...

4. MotoCilino

MotoCilino Member

Much appreciated, guys; thanks.

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Make sure there is no gravel in the throttle linkage.

6. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

This! I found a good pile of gravel in my bike around the throttle bodies last time through a gravel trap. I also had some in my ram air duct.

At a minimum, I would take off the following to get a good look for gravel: bodywork, front sprocket cover (if still on), and the airbox.

7. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

check between swingarm and engine too.. gravel can get caught in there and as the suspension moves can wear a deep score line. one of the racers round here ended up with a hole in his gearbox cases and a cracked swingarm from it :O

cheers.joe.