Let's deal with rum.

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

I guess it's just me, still a very good Rum overall.

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Try the XO. I'm still in love.

3. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

kirk & sweeney 12 yr, its dominican, long family traditions but can't remember his name :)

4. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

DonQ

When I lived in Puerto Rico, only the tourists drank Barcardi.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Headed to Jamaica here soon... Let the White Rum Flow.....

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I don't mind flavored rum when you mix it. A vanilla flavored rum is good in Coke.

7. indermue

indermue Active Member

[​IMG]

Diplomatico.

and Havana Club (from Cuba) if you are close to a border.

8. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Orange juice mixes well with gold or dark rum, much better than Coke IMO, but pretty much anything is OK with mixers. A few ice cubes would be as far as I would go with a good rum.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

If I am mixing then I prefer 7up with my rum.

10. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I didn't even know there was such a thing as high-end rums till i got a lesson from my local liquor store guy. I always thought they were just for mixing and such.

For those who are into the premium stuff, how would you compare it to a good whiskey? I'm not a fan a sugary/sweet liquors, I'm guessing the higher end stuff is less of that?

11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Hmm. Maybe halfway between whiskey and brandy?

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Pyrat Rum

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Thanks for the suggestion on Diplomatico. I'll have to get a bottle.

Havana Club was ok when I was in Cuba. It seemed to be pretty ubiquitous, so in my mind I (maybe incorrectly) equated it to Bacardi. Sadly, I wasn't into rums then.

14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Nice suggestions. Been on a pyrat xo kick lately. Bacardi anajo bottled in the bahamas is a staple. Cruzan single barrel is good. Had a 1979 clement for my birthday a couple of years ago. Funny story the first time I had zacapa xo. We finished a charter and the guest told the captain to take us out for dinner on him. The waiter recommended the zacapa and I told him to mix it with coke and he gave me a funny look and said "I'll bring it on the side" So anyways I had 3 of them with dinner and the mate had 3. We get the bill and it was 60 bucks a glass. 240 dollars for 6 rum and cokes! Anyways some how between 3 guys having dinner we managed to have a bill over a grand!

15. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

This was the most hangover inducing Rum I ever had. I got the headache whilst still drinking it!