1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go Greyhound....

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Mar 24, 2015.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

What a miserable experience. Left last Thursday for the 14 hour bus ride to Allentown, PA, for orientation with Werner trucking, and now I'm doing the 14 hour bus ride back so I can start the 6 weeks of trading in South Boston, VA.

I think kids could fit comfortably in the seats, but not adults.

2. caferace

caferace No.

You're only technically, an adult.

-jim

3. dtalbott

Mentally, true, but I outgrew these seats years ago.

4. wood600rr

wood600rr Well-Known Member

When I trained with USX, they let me buy a plane ticket and reimbursed me the difference for the bus ticket. Funny thing is, the plane ticket was cheaper! I never understood why they automatically put you on a bus, when the airfare is usually cheaper.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

You are keeping the business model alive. FirstGroup is solely land based freight logistics (People are freight too.). The more freight that's trucked (people are freight too) the longer you keep the dream alive. Aerospace is the enemy.

6. wood600rr

wood600rr Well-Known Member

A Greyhound bus seat for 14 hours is the bigger enemy, to me at least...

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

My first ride on Greyhound was from Fort Belvoir, VA to Miami, FL. IIRC, it was 31 hour trip. This was in 1987. The bus was full. What I remember, backseat suck. Change overs are always in suspect location. What I will never understand, is how my bags made it to Miami before I did. :D

I ventured onto Grehound back in 2002 or 2003 from Tallahassee, FL to St. Louis to pick up an ex-Air Force Cargo Van (turned into a toy-hauler). Little difference in experience.

The cost of travel via bus is contradictory to rationale. In my experience actual travel costs: Planes<Buses<Trains. My choice if time permit, drive!

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The hardest task on a Greyhound bus is keeping folks from talking to you. :)

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

and dealing with the smell from bathroom :moon:

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Like, I said, backseat sucks! :Poke:

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Not to mention the screaming kids and the people who brought them.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

So, you have experience handling wide loads? :D

13. dtalbott

Well, I'm too wide a load to fit in those seats.

Has anybody ever been to a bus terminal where the food (if available) was somewhere close to decent?

14. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I had the chance to take a 24 hour bus ride from Denver to Indianapolis. I'm glad I took a flight instead.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I don't recall. I remember a burger, dry, with something yellow sticking to it being reference as cheddar cheese.

Food quality: bus terminal<train depot<airport

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Hey D...think of it as initiation to when you start driving the big rigs. This was just a test to see if you can handle it. Good job on passing the test :)

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

FIFY
    My only bus experience is in 3rd world countries.
    You mean some buses have bathrooms on board? :D

18. revin62

revin62 Well-Known Member

I once spent 70 hours one way from Pensacola to San Diego on greyhound. Then had to come back! Torture, pure torture.

19. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

They killed Kenny!...

That raft trip was pretty cheap and still paying dividend.

Imagine that, buses with bathroom. Who would have thunk it. :D

20. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I once needed to pick up a car in Cali, so I took a Greyhound bus from Phoenix to Los Angeles. NEVER AGAIN.

It seems humans can only control their bodily functions for about 1.5 hours. After that, it was like everyone turned into animals. Uncontrolled burping, farting, shitting, snoring, crying. I died a little inside during that trip.