1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia Shiver pro's and con's

Discussion in 'General' started by Sundaydisco, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

We are looking for a bike for my wife and the Shiver looks to be on top of the list when we crunch all the numbers. Just wanted to hear from the peeps. This would not be her first bike and she has been riding for awhile. The standered naked bikes are what she likes the most. Trying to stay sub $10k. Thanks

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

My brother owned one. Rode it several times. Was a lot of fun.

Still bummed he sold it.

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why not that new GSXR750 naked? Something like $8K.

Just wondering.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Because Italian bikes are sexier. Even the Shiver.

6. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

You can get a overstock Shiver for sub 8k easy

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Its the most "partsbinny" of all the parts bin specials out there. The swingarm looks like it's from the eighties or something. Lots of cheap stuff on it.

8. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Check out the Yamaha FZ07.....$6990 MSRP

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

scrambler if you wanna go new, other than that, my big secret love: tuono 1st or 2nd gen.

10. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

Pro's:
    Italian and cool looking for a naked
    As noted available in the 8k neighborhood
    Refined throttle response and not overwhelming power

Con's:
    Nowhere close to an FZ09 for power
    Resale values aren't that good as it is not desirable to the market (why they sell below msrp)

11. Sundaydisco

We looked at the GXS-S750 and it just seems the components were lacking and the GSX-S1000 is looking to be over $10K. She rode the FZ09 and it was ok but didn't give her the warm fuzzies. Plus she's kinda wanting something different. We are not opposed to a used bike but found a Shiver Demo with 350 miles for $7200.

12. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i think it looks cool, not really parts binny as it doesn't share anything with a past model, maybe forks, i would think gsxr 3 spoke rims as being more 80's and parts binny

13. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I had a 2009 DorsoDuro a couple of years ago (IIRC they share the same engine) and it was OK, but not great. Very good low end grunt, but way too heavy for a bike of that CC range. It got sold when Yamaha announced the new FZ09 and that is what I presently own and have been modding to my likes.

14. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Street Triple ABS runs around $9.5k new.

15. bjs8579

bjs8579 Well-Known Member

I bought a left over 2012 Shiver last January from http://www.xps-usa.com/ for $7547 total, and that includes shipping to my house in TN from MD. I'm really happy with the bike.

Pros:
    Good, smooth, responsive power delivery
    Not bad on long trips
    Actually felt more powerful than I initially expected
    Best looking bike in the class (in my opinion)
    Sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust

Cons:
    Maybe a little heavier
    No options to adjust the forks, and they make cartridge kits for every Shiver fork except the Marzocchis, which I have unfortunately
    Never found a rearset with GP shift

I looked at the Monster, Speed Triple, and the Shiver. I chose the Shiver because that was the one I wanted in the end.

16. Wife has had one for two years now. Not a bad runner, quick revving little 95 hp motor. Handling is enough for her. Seat can be a bite in the thighs on the edges and gets hot. Under tail exhaust that doubles a fender is ton of weight up where you don't want it. Deleting the cat dumps a lot of the heat. Three modes- rain,tour,and sport works well. Sport is bit twitchy off idle. Handling is fair to good, wallows around a bit when pushed. No problems with it at all. Fun little bike but kind of a bore after owning a Rotax Tuono. Used they are a good value.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

This all day long.

18. Sundaydisco

Went with the new 2014 MV Agusta Brutale. Not to much over $10k but a damn sexy bike. She feel in love with it as soon as she sat on it. Hope the first ride just keeps the feeling going.

19. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Very nice. That's one a the few modern bikes that has beautiful aesthetic lines. It seems like everyone else's stuff was modeled after a Picasso rendition of a bike built from a Lego set.

[​IMG]

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I assume you are looking at the dealer in dahlonega... Good folks there, david will treat you right. Riders Hill or Black mountain cycles, can't remember what name they go by.

The aprilia is nice but my wife had a street triple R. Tons of character and a great handling bike to boot. Look around for a used one with a set of pipes. Spend the extra on the R if she rides it very hard or you will ride it some.