1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texting with customers. Acceptable? Not?

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Mar 12, 2015.

?

Is texting with customers ok?

1. Acceptable

41 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. Not acceptable

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Cannoli and Steeltoe are secret lovers

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Let's hear it...

I do text with them, after they've sent one to me, and obviously with subs, suppliers, designers etc.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Socially? No. As a means to transmit instructions and information. It does serve as a record of "conversation".

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If it's work, for IM, Text, Cell Phone or Desk phone, if they want something, I ask them to send me email.

CYA now, no bullshit later.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

information yes, chatting no.

but that's only for my side business, where all are motorcyclists.
    in my real job - no. heck no.

6. rhouck

rhouck wat?

Acceptable... but why would YOU want to? I try to avoid giving my personal number to anyone though; they can reach me at my work phone or work email.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes….saves me a lot of time. Ain't got time to be on the phone all day.

8. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Likely depends on your business. Walgreen's texts me when my prescriptions are filled, so I'm ok with that. Toyota dealer sends me service interval texts, but only because I checked the box for them to do so when I created my account online. Working for the small company I'm at, at no time would I recommend us ever texting with with customers. Opens door to too much silly chit.

9. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

I dont do txt msgs (phone type) at all.

If you must though, limiting it to y/n answers or call me/voice mail.

10. eggfooyoung

Self employed. They're my customers and my info is on all of my letterhead and in my email signature.

11. eggfooyoung

Sometimes...

12. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

I'm now working in real estate. i have both clients and colleagues that rarely answer the phone... but text, and you get a response right away.

i do what i gotta do to get an answer.

13. apexspeed

yeah.. some people take up too much time on the phone.

how well does the speech to text apps work for this? is that even possible?

might hafta reconsider if it can be a no hands deal.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It works great on iPhones, I'm sure the others work well also.

15. eggfooyoung

Oh yeah. Most of mine are talk to text. I hit the microphone and talk away. You do have to slow down a little, but it definitely works well. I'm on an older S3.

16. ped

ped Banned

I like text personally. Quick and succinct and there's a record if a number or whatever is given.

17. apexspeed

Im glad you brought it up then.. my customers are all cool and most are friends but there are at least a couple that always tie me up in unrelated conversation and this might be a nice way to avoid that.

new Co policy just for "those" guys. I'll check into that.

thanks

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I say no. I hate it, and I feel the same way about email. If there's something important or time-sensitive that needs my attention, don't f#cking email me!!

Unfortunately it's the way it is now. I get texts from my banker, my accountant, sales reps, you name it. They think it's okay apparently. I don't.

19. apexspeed

thats always been my policy.. its getting worse and worse these days. I used to tell folks I dont use txt, FB, or email and that was that but not lately.

of course I email when absolutely needed but not until. and FB? hell naw!

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Nope, emails or phone calls only. If they can text me, they will text me all the fucking time with stupid questions. Tried it for a little bit, never again. I use Ringcentral for my business phone service, so it will actually accept text messages. I just don't tell the customers it does.