1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lawsuit?

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, Mar 11, 2015.

1. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

So the local PD likes to post pics of criminals on their facebook. Today they started posting the pics with date of birth and social security numbers. I X'ed out the number in the copy/paste below

Seems like a major issue to me? Am I off base? Kind of lol'ed though since she is wanted for identity theft.

PAM LEE RICHARDS

WHITE FEMALE ADULT 5’06” 115 LBS. BLONDE HAIR/ BLUE EYES
    DOB: 12/17/1958
    SSN: XXX-XX-XXXX
    Richards is wanted for multiple counts of Identity Fraud and Unlawful Acquisition of a Financial Transaction Card. The charges are the result of Richards stealing the identity of an Ogden resident. Richards may also use the victim’s identity to avoid apprehension. It is unknown where Richards is living but she may be in the Roy, Utah or Riverdale Trailer Park area.
    If Richards is located contact the Ogden Police Department (801) 629-8221.

2. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

I love she may be in various trailer parks! Lol

3. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Posting a SSN in such a public manner is a HIPPA violation. Wonder if this counts?

4. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

In this particular case it seems appropriate, she did steal someone else's identity. Why not make it easy for some other idiot to steal hers.

What's this got to do with health insurance or medical records?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

While I agree with the above. Kinda social justice.
    It's a government agency posting a Protected Health Information(PHI) identifier. The SSN.

6. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

In this context it's not considered PHI and is not subject to HIPAA compliance.

However, posting the SSN *is* seriously screwed up.

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Stealing the identity of a trailer park resident would undoubtedly open a door to untold wealth.

8. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

I see that they've taken the SSN down. Knuckleheads!

9. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

bahahahaha!

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Depends on their ability to photoshop a W2. Folks are stealing names/SSNs to file false tax returns. We got that great news last week. We submitted our taxes and found out that someone already filed using my wife's SSN.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Had a woman in this area just get convicted of doing that.

I can remember when we were told don't give out your ss #to anybody blah blah...

Now any application for anything asks for it. :down:

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

It is all public record.

They actually edited it but the number is still up there. But seriously who wants her social lol

I LOL'd at Nigel

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Of course it begs the question: is the ss number that's x'ed out really hers or someone elses? :)

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

That is a SERIOUS fuckup on someone's part.

I just did our bi-yearly training on how we have to redact these type of reports and/or mark them as "counsel only" before we make them discoverable.

15. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons I file my taxes ASAP.

16. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

i LOLed..

revised article 9?

& Orvis make a great point! look at it another way. how can any man or woman prove personal ownership of a SSN?

;-)

17. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

Seems like a violation of the Privacy Act of 1974. DOB and SSN are Personally Identifiable Information and must be protected per federal law.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

That is seriously fucked up. Doesn't matter what they were arrested for. SSN is supposed to be protected information. If I read the post correctly, people had been arrested and not convicted, correct? The PD is righteous and never makes mistakes, and gets a 100% conviction rate on all charges, so therefore arrested individuals deserve to have their identities stolen. :rolleyes:

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

thread taking a dangerous turn.

20. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

This thread is worthless without a pic... And just in case she's hot - 2xidb!!!!