1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The weather thread we were expecting

Discussion in 'General' started by crazywolf450r, Feb 23, 2015.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Iced up last night here in central MS. Power went out at midnight, had a huge tree limb fall half on house and dangle in front of garage door. Nothing like removing a ice covered big limb in the dark at mid night in 27 degree weather. Got it pulled completely down and out of the way, fired up the generator and they had the power back on in about 3 hours. Couldn't really tell if the house roof was damaged due to darkness. It's over the garage and no waters coming in as of this morning. May be a shingle or three damaged though.

Bucket truck guys were still tending the lines when I left for work this morning at 5:30 am. I expect more outages and limbs to be coming down in the next 36 hours.

2. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

30 minutes ago when I let the new pup out. I'm ready for spring.
    [​IMG]

3. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Dammit Roy, that sucks! Glad you all are alright and you power back on though.

4. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

Sunny & 60 up here in weird Portland Oregon...

5. oilslinger

oilslinger Well-Known Member

What part of Chattanooga?

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Frost is down to about 5 ft. around here now. The last few days there's been alot of villages / people having frozen pipes into the house. Lots of places saying to leave the water running. If it stays cold and keeps going deeper it'll only get worse and may not thaw till ?.

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

The roads are bad in my area. Wrecks everywhere. It took me 95 minutes to do my 24 minute commute.

8. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Ice is the worst I'd rather have snow anytime. I've been cutting trees back steadily around my house last few years and the one that dropped the limb was next up on the list as soon as we got decent weather here.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

don't poke the bear... :crackup:

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Every school district across the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex is closed today.

I kid you not, this is the view out my front door right now.

[​IMG]

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

it was a paltry 6F this am...should be 40 by next week though :cool:

12. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

"Its for the children"..:Poke:

13. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Plano or Allen?

(my view looks similar, and my company and kids' schools are also closed)

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Allen. (State champ 3 peat bishes!!)

I take it Mesa AZ isn't really your current location? :D

15. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Wylie, but I'm not sure it's permanent.

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

To most of us gearheads watching all the stupidity on an icy road is, or could be, amusing if it weren't for all the ignorance surrounding the stupidity. All you can do is shake your head in disbelief at those squirrels that slowly drive up to an ice covered overpass, stop and look up at it, then try to creep up that overpass. Of course they get nowhere while sitting there buzzing the hell out of their tires and they're to stupid to understand the concept of the simple word "traction." They can't understand that you need a bit of momentum to make it up the hill.

What's even worst is when the news anchors, while showing the stupidity on the video, make dumbass statements trying to tell people how to drive in the ice and snow. "Drive in the lanes where everybody is driving and go slooooooow to be especially careful." They're so damn dumb that they don't understand that those ruts that everybody is driving in is nothing but "wet ice" which I would challenge any of them to even stand up on. They don't seem to know to move over to where the ice is dry (and white) where the traction is much better.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really tired of the idiocy that occurs when it gets icy.

17. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

The conditions on my commute were challenging in my front wheel drive econobox. The idiots cruising the left lane were doing their thing like it was a normal day. Including talking on the phone! Unbelievable.

18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Anchors become anchors because they look pretty on camera, not because they know anything about anything.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

one of my faves when I watched the news...even though she messed up a bunch of lines ALL the time

Liz Cho
    [​IMG]

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i had to drive a lady's minivan for her the other day, kids in the van and everything. she kept getting stuck on our very slight hill like 3 houses down from her house. she kept flooring it and just spinning up. i dunno how people don't understand that smooth inputs in bad weather is everything. i just turned off her traction control and gave it 5% throttle until it inched its way steadily up to 5-10mph and that was that. took 2 seconds of patience. she was sitting there for like 10 minutes before coming over to me and my buddy shovelling our driveway.