1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Spectator Bridge at Barber

Discussion in 'General' started by crazywolf450r, Feb 6, 2015.

1. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

The BVMM just posted a ton of pics of new construction on FB. 400 ft bridge crossing from the museum over the track to the inside of the museum turn! :bow:

Man I love my home track!

[​IMG]

2. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

holy huge pic...

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Maybe it's just me, but there's going to have to be a separate fence preventing things from falling onto the racing surface from the catwalk.

4. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

WOW that's awesome!!!
    hopefully, its setup with a catch net/fence below to prevent just that.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'll bet that covered section of the walk is that part over the track.

6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I've watched races from the inside of the track right where that bridge will end (by breaking down twice in the same spot two years in a row). That will be a great viewing spot.

7. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

… and site of a future museum expansion, maybe? That's what I heard at Vintage Fest last year. :clap:

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I watched a few races at the '13 gnf from those windows after mine were finished. Great spot to watch people making moves in that turn and down the back part through the back stretch.

9. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

I believe so. I bumped into him at the museum two years ago and he basically said the plan was to build a similar building across the track with this catwalk connecting them. Very cool. Go George!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Original plan was a new museum building in the infield with a covered bridge big enough for parties over the track portion but I think that has changed due to logistics.

11. F4Scott

F4Scott Step out of the car

True dat.
    They would have had to shut the track down for a year during the construction.
    So the current plan is to put the Annex to the left side of the current museum with a bridge joining them together (assuming all goes as planned).

We're doing the re-configuration of the glass and adding the doors for the new Pedestrian Bridge. It will be up and running for the Indy Car race in April.
    They are pretty sure that this will be the longest pedestrian bridge in the state. The patio inside the track is going to be a great viewing spot. They want to add other things in that area to better the Fan Experience.

Scott P.

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I just hope they don't do what the contractor did with the ped bridge at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

13. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

and what is that exactly? lol..

14. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

I'd like to see some renderings from the top and the bottom of the hill on track.
    in the way down I know my sight line is for the kerbing on the left side at the base. Once I get on the gas I try and look all the way up to the entrance of the chicane.
    I can't see how it would interfere with anyone but I'd just like to see what the change would look like.
    Just one more place to try and look cool because you know people are watching! Hahahah

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bridge at Charlotte collapsed a while back.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it'll be high enough you'll barely notice it on track.

17. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Gonna be sweeeeeeeet.

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It's gonna be a toll bridge, isn't it?

:D

19. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

yikes.. that's not good.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Little over 100 hurt, no one killed luckily. If I remember right the builder added something to help curing that would up rusting out the interior support cables. I'm sure the Speedway got screwed on the lawsuit end of things though.