1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Sniper Reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by June-yer, Jan 17, 2015.

1. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

I didn't think the theater would be packed at the 18:00 showing. I bought our tickets only to find that there were no seats remaining. Hell, even Davek was there. So I had to wait until the next show. This movie is going to sell big.

It was a good movie. I learned a lot about Kyle. But one thing bothers me and this has started a few arguments in my camp. I've never heard of a sniper working without a spotter and splitting time on the trigger.

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Artistic license.

Apparently plenty of it in this movie.

That is what I read....

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I thought I remembered the splitting trigger time and sometimes no spotter parts mentioned in the book. It's been awhile since I had read it, so maybe I'm remembering wrong, but pretty sure I'm not.

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:crackup:

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did he really spent four tours chasing the same nemesis? The villain bouncing between rooftops like Spiderman was chasing him.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No I wasn't. :D

I do want to see it along with Birdman and st vincent but I'm not gonna pony up the $15 to see any of them.

7. June-yer

$9.95. Don't make this more complicated than necessary.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

No tree ever fell then?:D

Snipers do work alone. And, when they work with others they are likely to alternate position.

9. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

In the book Modern America Snipers, the new improved sniper schools for Delta and SEAL teams teach sniping without spotters.

10. ralphcor

ralphcor old slow guy

11. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Movie strays from and downright changes many things in the book. Read book first and you'll be disappointed with films adaptation.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I saw Unbroken, it was excellent, what a great story about an American hero.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

We don't see the like, the hardened men of years past.

Though, in fairness, occasionally one surfaces to demonstrate what is within each of us but is so instutionally aborted by the NEA.:D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-grueling-9-mile-swim-after-boating-accident

But the sixteen hour ordeal above only highlight the essence of Zamperini (his raft mates) and that generation.

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

:FL: :D

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:crackup:

16. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Didn't read the book. Don't care if it's not a spot on documentary. Just looking forward to a good movie.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Worthless, I didn't read the book, this movie was very good. I was very disappointed with Unbroken, which was mentioned above.

18. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Snipers will often work in pairs. Tucking in behind the rifle and looking through the scope is fatiguing, so frequently the pair will switch up to stay "fresh". I think a spotter is only really necessary when the shot is a long one and someone needs to watch the bullet 'trace' to help adjust for a follow up shot, if necessary. In combat, one of the pair will carry a rifle better suited for engaging the enemy in closer quarters in the event they are compromised/contacted.

19. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Seal snipers do not use spotters. Marine Corps snipers do/did. They do work in teams to relieve each other. I think the movie followed the book fairly well. There were some differences however. That is why you should read the book as well. One difference was his first kill. In the book, it was just a woman. I don't remember anything about a child.

That being said, I liked the movie. I think it showed the struggles he and his family went through. Taya said they did a good job as well as some of his buddies. His dad however approved but didn't seem to be 100%.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  20. June-yer

That's exactly how Major Plaster puts it and practiced by Hathcock/Burke ('cept for that time he met up with the snake). Both, equally proficient at detection and use of the weapon. This is reinforced in the movie where Kyle says he can't hit what he can't see. I've read, in that business, detecting the target is more than half the job. Maybe (in the movie) they didn't want to put a name to anyone else and just avoided the problem all together.