1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever let somebody else ride your bike and they crash it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Dec 5, 2014.

1. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

You might as well get ready cause it s gonna happen now! ;)

2. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

3. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

There's also sand and gravel, catching a pant leg on footpeg or brake or shift lever on an unfamiliar bike, etc.

I had a BMW R909RS in Germany in the 80's. Put it up for sale when it was time to return to the states, some younger German guy came to look at it, took it for a ride and ran it off a curve about a mile away. He paid to have me repair the bike and fairing (mostly cosmetic damage) and replace my damaged Shoei helmet. That was probably a bad decision to let him ride it...

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

If he was drunk, that's a good excuse. I can deal with that. If your sober and rode for 35+ years you shouldn't drop a bike at a stop sign. I know shit happens but if anybody is going to crash my bike I want it to be me! :beer:

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Dude! you are smacking the Karma gods in the sack! you better go to church, find a rabbits foot, knock on wood, find a four leaf clover, salt over the shoulder, a Jeanie in a bottle, and pray to the karma gods, this doesn't bite you in the ass too. shit happens, sooner or later EVERYONE goes down, falls, makes a mistake. you my friend are casting stones while living in the proverbial glass home. :Poke:

Ski

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Like Forrest Gump said,"Shit Happens........":D

7. Ryan600RR

Ryan600RR Well-Known Member

I let my roommate from college ride my brand new 04 candy blue 600RR (long story why I let him). I rode it out to a 2 lane highway, then instructed him to go down the highway a bit and come right back. I waited forever, and he finally came back 20 minutes later, and I probably set a personal blood pressure record high as I saw the damage. He low sided it while making a left hand turn, I'd guess at 15-20 mph. Over the next month, he paid for all replacement parts I said it needed, but it was really awkward and put a strain on our friendship for a while. It's a situation I never want to be in again, on either side.

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I hear what your saying. I'll rephrase it. If anybody is going to crash my bike I want it to be me and high side into a strip club bouncy foam party so I don't get hurt and meet the girl of my dreams? Turns out she stumbled her way into the club to pay for medical school. She's torn between that and becoming lawyer. Law schools expensive. I don't know why but I believe her. She takes me home to her place, have crazy sex all night, she doesn't want me to stay the night because it was nothing but casual sex and says "thanks, that was fun" We will probably never see each other again so take care. Give her a peck on the cheek and life is good. We'll see if the secret works :beer:

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Couple years ago at Barber... a guy from California was inquiring on renting a bike.. I offered him mine and to pit with is ect.. No charge.. Just pay for the gas.. He rode a full day on Sat and had a blast.. Then it rained on Sun and he was packing up. I told him not to waste the day and go ride.. He was concerned about wrecking which he did 4 sessions in. I told him to forget about it.. I even repaired the bike and took ot back out for a shakedown..Bike wasn't to bad.. He offered to pay I declined.. Somehow he figured out my Paypal addy and sent me money weeks later.. Some people have the mentality wreck it buy it ect... I think it depends on the situation and the individuals riding..

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I just crashed a friends bike. Damage was minimal & he brushed it off... I have been acquiring parts to repair it plus a few upgrades. Lucky I suffered more bodily damage. :D

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Put this thread up in the endurance section and I bet we'll get a bunch more stories.

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I'm not sure I have enough fingers...
    Last one was Xman trying to race Kradget on the first lap of a six hour. Good thing it was just a kid and a learning experience. :D

13. sdg

sdg *

I was just thinking that.

I always fixed it better than it was before the crash. Cosmetics not withstanding but the thing wasn't exactly pretty to begin with...

14. sdg

sdg *

oh, and always discuss this stuff up front...

15. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

NEVER let a buddy borrow your girlfriend or your bike - he's liable to throw a rod in either one!

PS It kills me how folks will say to me "Take it up the street" or the like and I'm standing there in my dress shoes and slacks.

It's like, ya know... IF we were up in the N GA Mountains on a weekday, no traffic, the tires were warm and I had all my gear on I MIGHT take you up on it!

I think the (most often self-inflicted) "problem" keeps happening because of the "Wanna take it up the road" scenario.

Why is that even something folks want to explore?

16. chugs

chugs Well-Known Member

Agreed.:up:

17. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

True story and probably my most horrific memory from the race track.

My second year working Tech for WSBK at Miller. We have to go through all of the garages and bikes to do a Tech inspection, get Vins and log A Bike B Bikes for race control. They made us wear these shitty baggy cargo pants that I hated. We are walking with the Head Tech guy from WSBK and roll into the BMW garage. Corser and Xaus I think that year? I know it was Xaus. So the bikes are stripped of bodywork so we can do our thing. BMW has these really nice racks built to hang bodywork on. Probably 6 feet tall. My pant leg catches the corner of one and over it goes taking out the one next to it. Ya.... bodywork everywhere. The Team freaks out, I freak out everyone is screaming in different laguages and the only thing my smart ass brain can spew from my mouth was "Well at least it was Xaus's so its not like it wasnt getting scratched anyway." Silence. Looooooong silence. Then someone started laughing and I snuck out quick.

Every time I walked in that garage they would yell and someone would come and grab me like they were leading a blind man through a China shop. By the end of the weekend Xaus had destroyed both bikes and we were all pretty good friends.

18. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

i crashed a friends brand new repsol going under 5mph, he wouldnt let me pay to fix it.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

LMAO

20. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Yes I had someone toss my street bike on the ground in a parking lot. I was pretty upset but happy he was not hurt.

I let lots of people ride my mini bikes on the kart tracks, even had my KTM65 lock up tight when a friend was on it. He was ridding just like I would have been if I was on it so I just fixed it and said it must have been over due for a rebuild. But I have also had a friend toss my 150r on the ground twice in one session and made him ride the TTR110 till he slowed down a bit.

To me what matters more is the way they were ridding when shit happens than what actually happens. I don't mind if people ride my mini bikes fast and fall but if they are ridding over their heads and trashing my shit I don't invite them back.

Oh and if any of you riders in Michigan want to try out some mini bikes at East Lansing Kart track just let me know I have a bunch of them.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014