2015 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by tracaddict, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Dunno. Only thing I heard about was Jesus and the "Miracle At NJMP" a few years ago. :D

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

So Melka, you gonna run the 200 or not? Hell, I'll hold your water bottle.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not likely, but thanks .. lol. but come by garage 37 (facin the I-horseshoe) and say hi! Doin lots of other races that weekend.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yup. still need to be "wicked smaht" to figure out the stroke i suspect, but it's way easier than pulling the head off. is LRRS at Road America ? that's were we knew one was gonna get used, and saw it..

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

LRRS = Loudon Road Race Series.

6. caferace

caferace No.

Looks like upped their fees for the D200:

Class suitability internal protests require payment of fees as follows:
    $50.00 For protests requiring removal of body work, including but not limited to fuel tank, fairing, seat cowling and air box cover.
    $150.00 For protests requiring removal of valve covers.
    $200.00 For protests requiring the removal of the oil pan (Included in disassembly of cases)
    $500.00 For protests requiring removal of cylinder head or cylinders.
    $1,000.00 For protests requiring disassembly of cases

ref: http://www.ccsracing.us/forms/2015/rules/2015 daytona 200 rulebook v3.pdf

-jim

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yes. Whistler. You still have to measure stroke manually, but you don't have to remove the head.

It doesn't detect aftermarket pistons. ;)

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine made a tool to do that, used it the first time on employee/racer of his rider that got protested. Apparently he had rebuilt his FZR as a560 instead of a 460. Lost his ride, lost his job, didn't even win the race. :)

9. joec

joec brace yourself

through the plug hole, you can really only measure stroke on a 2 stroke I thought. because of the plug hole angle. I mean, I guess if you know the precise angle, you could. am I wrong?

10. mdr14

mdr14 What?

If I'm not mistaken, Which I may be, I thought with a ccs protest, you must specifically state in the protest what you are protesting. If something other than what you protested is found, then it doesn't count.

But my problem with a ccs protest is who specifically gets to inspect the parts under protest.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If the spark plug hole is centered, which most sportbikes are, it's very simple if you can get the measuring tool enough clearance in the chassis.

12. joec

joec brace yourself

thanks! makes sense with the valve arrangement now that I think about it.

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have seen a tool that you thread into the spark plug hole and turn the engine over. It the meassured the volume of air and told you the displacement. I can't seem to find one right now. It was pretty cool though. Easy to see if the engine was the right size in about 30 seconds.

14. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I seem to remember one season back in the 90's there was a persistent rumor about several cheater motors. They never got protested because nobody wanted to gamble the cash on a tear-down protest.

Then one day at Summit a tuner/team owner/ racer dude finally had enough and wandered around the paddock waving a stack of cash and assuring people that on that day somebody would be getting torn down to the crank.

Several people packed up and left. Legend has it that a few of those people were a bit slower the rest of the season.

15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

AMA Pro DT (pre-DMG) used a setup called the "whistler" that used air volume to computer displacement. You did have to disable the cams though. I used it several times when I was Tech for the DT Amateur Grands.

16. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

and him stealing other people's tools at an LRRS round. got confronted, so him and his crew pulled the language barrier. packed up their (and everyone else's) shit and left in a hurry. I liked how he ran 1:16's one race, then 1:24's the next one when he had no shot at contingency this year.

17. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Again, what are we really talking about with 2mm pistons and cams. Maybe 5hp? Just curious. Everyone can go 1mm over so what do you gain over that?

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

The tool my buddy made was from small brass rod. It would slide through the spark plug hole but had wings that folded out to measure the bore. The stroke is pretty easy as long as you can get a straight shot into the cylinder, you could even use a three foot screwdriver.

19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's more than 5hp. More importantly, there is a significant gain in torque.

20. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I think approx 7hp per mm.