1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

washer drain trouble

Discussion in 'General' started by tunawest, Nov 4, 2014.

1. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

Too lazy to search. Alright, so kinda suddenly. our washer has been backflowing from the vertical drain that the hose from the washer goes into. It happens rather quickly, and I think only from the initial drain after agitation. It literally takes maybe 2-3 seconds for it to start. A buddy let me borrow a snake and I was able to access the clean out on the outside of the wall. Was able to get about 10 feet in and even ran a garden hose with no issues (also did hose inside and no issues). I am thinking its clogged in the P trap. If it was not a 75 year old house with seized piping, I would pull that bitch apart. So.... whats next before I call a plumber?

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Im just a poor DIY'er but could you have a lint build-up where the water is pumped/discharged from the washer?

3. tunawest

Like in the washer itself? Nah nothing like that. I can watch the water come out of the vertical tube where the hook/drain thing from the washer goes.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Try putting the snake down the top of the open riser, directly into the trap. Root around and report back...

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Pour some Drano Max down the drain, let it sit for 30 minutes, then flush for 10 minutes with hot water.

6. tunawest

I tried the snake thru the riser and it just doesnt allow me to get past the bend in the trap. not like its hitting anything (I dont think) but like its just not physically happening, I dunno. I did try draino a few weeks ago and dont think it worked, but would try it again

7. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I had the same trouble; old house and new washer. I tried everything but found the drain was clean. I eventually discovered that the old drain was simply too small of a diameter to drain the high flow modern washer and had to replace the drain with a larger pipe.

8. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

washer drain

so it was working fine before or is this a new washer on the old drain that was working fine? had this same problem when I moved my son into a house a couple of months ago. check the drain discharge height . some older house plumbing has the discharge drain too low for most modern washers. all I had to do was elevate discharge hose ( and make sure it's not inserted too far into the drain). hope that's all your problem is. b bill and darethea

9. tunawest

yeah it had worked fine before. about a month ago, we noticed water pooled on the tile after a load of laundry. SO my dumbass tore apart the washer trying to figure out what was wrong. Went to try it again and the washer was not working, from me not knowing what I was doing. SO I found a cheapo from a buddy and discovered that it was coming from the drain pipe and here we are haha.