1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot water heater help

Discussion in 'General' started by tjg412, Oct 22, 2014.

1. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

So no hot water today. Went to the breaker box and saw the breaker had tripped. Reset it. A few hours later still no hot water. So I checked the reset button on the hot water heater itself and it was not tripped. Hot water heater is making no noise (there is usually some noise coming from it when it is heating). Any idea what may wrong?

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Bad thermostat maybe, the chance of both heating elements going at the same time is about zero. Do you have hard water ? If you do the lime will build up in the bottom and eventually ruin the bottom element but you still have some hot water from the top one still working.

3. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

upper element powers up first. If water never reaches set temp. the bottom element won't get power. Remove power to unit and measure resistance across the 2 screws on the upper element. 12.5 ohms is what a new element will have. With power back on to the water heater you can turn the upper thermostat to max. temp. and then you can use volt meter on ac volt scale to see if upper element is getting power from the thermostat. Most of the time i find upper heating element burned out and the lower element is good.

4. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Why do you want to heat hot water?

6. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Why do Canuckistanians say "eh"?

8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I ask that one all the time.

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:stupid:

10. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

this.. upper is more prone to going out because of the lack of water across the element so it gets too hot & pops.

drain the heater and pull both of them and inspect, DO not put power to them until the tank is refilled or you'll need two more :up:

11. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Gidday Eh!