1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First check due in December!

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Oct 13, 2014.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Applied today. Social Security monthly benefit.
    Surely there should be a class for those getting the check. Or maybe a discount. Or maybe some love....
    Anyone else here gonna be racing the GNF on their benefit?
    :beer:

2. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

hope your doing well

3. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

Good for you to make to retirement age,I made it and have never been happier....well almost never

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Made to 62 but failed at retirement...went back as a part time consultant (3 days a week) for more than I made as a full timer. No vacation, no other benefits BUT..every weekend is a 4 day weekend, so no complaints.:up:

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Uh, you're welcome? :Poke:

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm torn on this. On one hand, I'd love to be able to "retire", as in be set up so well that I never have to work for somebody else again. On the other, if it takes being 62, 65, or whatever they make it by the time I get there, I'm not so sure. It's almost like saying, "I'm gonna die soon so I better make the best of what time I have left".

For reference, I just turned 36. Getting "old" has been on my mind a lot lately: I've got some gray hairs in my beard, my parents are knocking on their 60's, and things don't work/look like they used to.

7. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

I am retired but for the first 15 years worked for a non profit without pay and even was paying for most of the expenses to do the work.Have mostly stopped doing non profit work,I still on the board,just not out in the field much.

8. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I applied online yesterday. Fairly straight forward. Should see the first check in December. With sub teaching and teaching private music lessons I shouldn't have a problem making under the max to keep the full benefit.
    And believe me, getting past 60 creeps up on you. But hey, if I can still participate at the GNF, it's all good!:beer:

9. i hope all the money i paid into this shit is still there in15 years! i'm not holding my breath

10. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

That's why I grabbing it now! And the shit is, the money I was taxed to earn is taxed!!!

11. double taxation is supposed to be against the law right? lol